Pearl Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKLB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have a group of 5 pearl gourami (2 male, 3 female) and one of my females has several areas on her body where it seems like the scales have disappeared and there are white areas left behind. These started off as small white spots over her body, but now she’s got quite large white areas on both of her side. Also, the top side of her dorsal fin has turned opaque and white and is flattened against her body. However, she seems to be eating and swimming fairly normally so far. What could this be?

The fish are in a planted200l/55 gallon tank, with 8 kuhli loaches, 5 glass catfish and 20 harlequin rasboras. I feed the fish ‘Bug Bites’ by Fluval a couple times a day, and do a 20% water change every 2 weeks or so.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

IMG_1613.jpgIMG_1612.jpgIMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1593.jpgIMG_1597.jpgIMG_1598.jpgIMG_1603.jpg

Here are some pictures from a few days ago. She’s still swimming fast enough that I can’t take good pictures of her.

I don’t know if this will solve your Gourami problem, but you definitely have do more frequent or larger water changes. The white spots could be ich. It can be treated with commercial medications. Good Luck!

Doesn't appear to be ich. Possibly the beginning of fin rot. Also looks bloated which could be the start of internal parasites or bacterial infection associated with fin rot.

Your water change schedule needs to be altered and could very well be the problem. 50% weekly water changes should be a standard practice. Even planted tank guys generally do this to replenish nutrients in the water and as part of their fertilizing schedule.

Are the white patches fuzzy?

I’ll get on the weekly water changes then. The patches aren’t fuzzy, it looks like the scales have faded away and left these white areas, and they don’t seem to be sore or anything.

These could be ammonia burn? I’ve recently had do some some reading online to find the cause to similar on my Pleco and I got a medicine from my local aquatic store that covers fungal and bacterial infections & finrot called “eSHa 2000” on the box.

I'd definitely treat for bacterial fin rot. A good all around bacteria med is API Furan 2. It treats gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Another option is adding Seachem Paragaurd and Seachem Kanaplex. These two can be used together. The swelling is a concern as well. A good med for internal parasites is Seachem Metroplex. This has to be dosed internally so you'll want Seachem Focus (a binder) you mix with the metroplex and your Gourami's food of choice. Once mixed then feed.

I got some potentially clearer pictures that show the faded areas on her sides. Her fin seems to be getting a lot better and doesn’t seem to be ‘rotting’ as such anymore.

I’ll try and get some antibacterial medication over the next few days. I’m not too concerned about the swelling because she’s been like that since I bought her about 8 months ago, but I can have a look at medication if you think it’s necessary. All of my females seem to have a similar belly so I’m not sure if it’s just a Pearl Gourami thing?

IMG_1619.jpg IMG_1620.jpg IMG_1618.jpg

Back
Top Bottom