Penguin Tetras not schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaindbishop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

We got a school of Penguin tetras about a month ago (15 in total). We lost one of them to tetra disease but the rest are fine.

My question is why arent they schooling at all? When we first got them they woudl school together very nicely, but now after theyve settled in they done school even a little bit.

I had wondered if it was because there were no "predatory" fish, or larger fish in the tank, as undertsnad that schooling behaviour whilst a natural behaviour is a way of protecting the greater good (i,e they school for protection).
If they are the dominant fish is there no need for them to school?

I have 3 rummies, 3 cardinal tetras, 3 glass catfish, and bristlenose as the remaining fish.

Any thoughts / suggestions??

Hellos there,

IME penguin tetras are loose schoolers. I kept a few before, and they're more of a "just hanging" fish. How big is this tank?

Schooling is more of a defense mechanism, when they don't feel threatened, the loosen up and go free-for-all. That's how my bentosi tetras are. They have no order and swim as they please. My black neons on the other hand used to do what your penguins were doing, but then started to school a lot more now that my angel has been getting bigger.

A little off-topic, but...have you been thinking about filling out the schools in your tank? Just a suggestion :)

Thanks for your help. And interesting...

I have recently increased the size of my tank, and decided to try a clearwater South American tank.

Consequently i will be introducing 4 Apisto Agassizzis over the weekend (and 5-6 Bolivian Rams).
Do you think these introductions may start the penguins schooling again?? (presumably the rams / apistos would pose more of a threat than my current stock?)

No my intention is actually to find new homes for the other schools. I know the caridanls / rummies are South American, but not really in fitting with the new tank. It was between a school of penguins and a school of rummies. I wanted a big school of one, rather than 2 smaller schools....

IMO rams and apistos won't get the penguins to school. Penguins IME stay towards the top of the tank, while apistos and rams stay on the bottom, so neither will be a threat to each other really. Plus rams and apistos are really passive. Not usually the fighter types unless you've got a super protective pair breeding.

However, I would reconsider adding 4 apistos and 6 bolivians. There's not enough floor space in that tank for five pairs of cichlids, I can garuntee at least one or two pairs will form out of that future plan, and the remainder of them will get picked on. I would only suggest one pair of each cichlid or two of one cichlid. JMO.

Hmm...ok

So what would be a good option for a S.American community fish that would get the penguins to school?

I had been told that Apistos and the Rams would get on fine, and only the Apistos would need consideration (i had planned on 1 male / 3 females)??

IME my angel is like a fish herder. He will occasionally herd tetras together. They're good "school or else" fish. I would think rainbows cichlids would work as well, but don't quote me on that.

Also, if money is not a constraint...a school of discus could work. If it doesn't...well, at least you got pretty fish ;)

If they're two pairs, no. IME I had a GBR and honey gourami pair in my tank at one time, 40 gallons. They just would NOT quit it and drop it. That dang male GBR was constantly harassing other fish and super aggressive, espcially to the female, who did nothing. Same with the male honey gourami. Cichlids when they're matured and mated, are not nice to other cichlids. Oh no, definitely not, unless they stay out of the way, which is why my GBR keeps out of plain sight of Panther (my angel).

Would rainbow cichlids work with apistos / rams then?

I've never been keen on angels. And already have 1 Bolivian ram, so wanted some buddies for him

I'm not sure, as I don't have experience with rainbow cichlids. I've read about them, but don't have any experience with them.

I would think an alternative to an angel and rainbow cichlid would be a keyhole. Nice, peaceful, keeps to theirself.

How about another 3/4 rams, plus a few Angels??
The rams would form 2 pairs then right, and the angels would keep the tetras in shape?

So...two pairs of rams? Two angels?

Sounds alrighty, but I would wait for a second opinion just to be sure. However, if those two angels pair up, you're in for trouble. A pair of angels is basically going to chase and ferociously attack anything that comes near them when they are mature and breeding, so be careful. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell their sex when they are young. So, be careful.

Yeh potentially thinking two pairs of rams (I guess considering I already have 1 ram it needs to be pairs of rams, not apistos), and then a few angels.

I hear either 1 angel or more than 3...??

Well, three is definitely not the charm with angels. Usually the third wheel ends up becoming the road kill between the ganels.

You can go with either one or two. Several people have success keeping one angel just as much as keeping two, whether it be male and male, male and female, or female and female. IMO I like keeping one angel better, focus all your attention on just that one fish :)

Back
Top Bottom