peppermint shrimp: where are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lower11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On Friday i bought 6 peppermint shrimp to help clean up the aiptasia problem. At first they mostly hid in the rocks but eventually later that day you could find them if you looked closely enough.
I have not seen them since friday when i put them in, my question: would a large brittle starfish eat the shrimp? thats about the only thing i could think of.
Just wanted to make sure i didnt buy my starfish an expensive shrimp dinner.
thanks

A large brittle will eat what it can catch. However, peppermints are not really social and could very well be hiding under or in the rockwork.

they are most likely hiding... mine hide all the time. i can usually spot them because their antenae stick out of my rocks. peps are pretty fast, and i they are usually "nervous" (they run from everything).

they should come out if you drop some sinking pellet food in your tank. mine scramble out and go nuts when i throw in some pellets.

~mike

If you use a flashlight with a red lens cover (or buy some red tissue paper at a craft store and place it over the flashlight), you can see them moving around out in the open after lights out.

I use to have three in this little 20 reef I did and the only time I could ever see them was at night with the moonlights going, then you would see them going from rock to rock looking for food and swimming and doing all sorts of crazy stuff. But yeah if you tried finding them during the day goodluck all you would see would be some antenae maybe like Homer Simpson was talking about.

Mine come out some during the day. They always come out when I feed. When I target feed my stars etc they come out and eat from the baster.

i saw 1 of them last night with a flashlight w/red lens.
he was out swimming in the open water, pretty sweet but would be better if they came out during the day as well.
I was thinking that the brittle got it, he did manage to eat my nasso tang a few months back but he was sick. (anyone want a brittle "demon" starfish)
thanks for the replys!

Back
Top Bottom