Percula Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joester2k3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my first fish yesterday. And i know that i messed up on the acclimation (just got so excited) but he is eating. How ever he wont explore my tank. He stays at the right hand side of the tank and looks like the current makes it hard for him to swim. At the LFS he was swimming fine but they have no current in the little cubicals. IS this normal or did i screw him up????

New surroundings. Give him some time to get over the stress of moving to a new home. Not sure about the current question since we don't know how much is in your tank.

I have two maxi-jet 1200s in a 65gal. plus the canister filters output from the magnum 350. He seems to look scared or something. Atleast thats all i hope it is id hate for my first fish to die on me :(

I would not be concerned. What you are describing is what my clowns do when lights are out. That is their idea of relaxing and staying safe. :) Just give it some time.

Alright cause he just seems like swim inthat area like a lil maniac or something hahaha doesnt even move really just wiggles lol but when i fed him he did eat soo hopefully in a few days here he will be normal lol

I got a second percula today from the same place and both are fine (i acclimated alil better this time and i think the new fish isnt as stressed since he had a friend this time to meet up with. They both ate too sooooooo i think im on a great start now :)

my clowns used to go to the top back corner to "sleep" when the lights went out. i got a kick out of it b/c they went to the same corner each night after lights out.

my 2 oc clowns go and sleep on top of ph every night. They rest right ontop of it its weird but all is fine. I'm sure yours will be to.

My clown settles down at night in the front corner of the tank. He kind of leans up against the glass. They act strange at times. The other day after he found him self a big ole live worm to eat he darted around the tank for a good 30 min and you would have thought he was going to die...

My 2 clowns sleep on the bottom every night also
It is odd that they do not run for cover once the lights go out

Before they had a host my percs would fan a depression in the sand to hang out it. They slept either in the crater in the sand or would go the top of the tank by a ph at lights out. Now they stay close to their anemone.

Mine like the right side of my tank. They doing great and already will eat out of my hand if im not fast enough for them lol They are so freakin awesome i love it.

lol, I love my clowns too. Mine used to 'sleep' by the filter as well, and it'd scare me the first few nights. I thought my clowns were dying or something, then I learned that's their sleeping spot.

They're so easily 'trained' too. They know exactly when its feeding time, and where to go. I always drop the food in at the same spot, and when they see me lift the lid, or pick up the food canister, they go crazy! They always go right to that one spot. its so cute!

Phew... Y'all saved my life. I've been stressing out b/c of their odd behavior. Sometimes they would swim around the filter when light goes out and i always thought they were gonna die soon b/c they havn't slept for awhile... LOL This will help me sleep better. yey

You guys also relived my stress. I got a true percula with a rose tip anemone. He seems fine but earlier he was kinda floating on the top and then I touched him and he went back down in the water. He swims up and down up and down back and forth in a small area on the side of my tank where there are no rocks yet. He doesnt seem to like the rocks and hasnt been in the anemone sense I put them in there. When he was at the LFS he was in it all the time. When I acclimated him he was in it. But not now. I hope he will go back to it soon. Would it be a good idea to get another true perc? To go with him? Also with food... What do you guys feed them? I bought cyclopeeze for the rest of my tank and he eats it too and he also ate brine shrimp. But we bought this food... http://www.fishsupply.com/s4snl-41150.html And none of my fish will eat it. They eat it then spit it back out. I dont really understand. the guy at the LFS highly reccomended it and I have seen good reviews about it.

you can get another true perc if you'd like. My only recommendation is to get another clown the same size. do not get a bigger or smaller one. Partly so they wont get territorial, and mainly you can see one change from male to female as it becomes the dominant one. I found that interesting with mine, lol.

Give your current clown time to adjust. mine did not adjust till like 3 or 4 days later.

I feed my fish Nutrafin. I also drop frozen brine shrimp in once a week as well.

do not get a bigger or smaller one
Agree with the bigger, but a smaller one is fine. Did you just get it from the LFS yesterday?
If so, just go back there and get another one around the same size or smaller.

Did you QT it before putting it in the tank? If not, you should check out the articles section here and start with Quarantine.

My pair of percs will eat just about anything that goes in the tank. So will most of the fish. My usual food is a home made blender much that I thaw out.

Back
Top Bottom