perfect water, but lethargic betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amykim2004

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone.

Help new betta (fish) caregiver!

I got a new betta from petsmart last thursday. noticed some water cloudiness next day and some couple white spots on the head and darkness at the tip of the fin on my betta. Sunday evening I sterilized everything (boiled gravels, stones, artificial plants, shells) and changed water 100%. Used preconditioned water, Ready Water into 5 gallon tank with half dose of accompanied bio supplement, added half dose of API Slim Coat (2ml), half dose of salt (2 tsp aqua salt).
Tested water, looking good. 7.2 ph, zero ammonia, 82 degrees. tank is filtered, 5 gallon size with water monitoring tool.

my betta looks good... white spots are gone, color is ok, noticed on a little black dot on the body (around the spine, one side), though. BUT, it is inactive, hiding himself behind the rock, plants, on the shells, lying on the bottom, etc. No swim, unless the tank is shaken. Not responsive to food. Ate only one pellet (didnt see or ignored the other pallet).

what should i do??

So you've had him less than a week right ? He may, possibly, be having trouble adjusting to new surroundings. But not eating is not good. Is the food fresh ? Any idea how long he was in the store ? Any chance you tested the water he came in to see what parameters it had ? If they were very different from the ones he has now, he might just be shocked, and should recover in a few days.

Sometimes, sad to say, Pet store bettas just don't do well. Maybe inbreeding, maybe poorly kept in the store, but it does happen. I really hope it does not happen to this guy. Though they cost much more, bettas from breeders are much higher quality and much healthier as a rule.

Btw, next time, unless you are very certain of a bacterial infection or perhaps a parasite, boiling everything is kind of pointless. All tank water has organisms in it, and they normally do no harm unless a fish gets wounded or becomes immune compromised, and then they can cause issues, but typically you treat the issue, and all is well. You cannot truly sterilize a tank because you can't sterilize the fish, and the biofilm, that slippery feeling film that grows on all the surfaces over time, is actually beneficial to fish. Best to let it grow, not try to wipe it out.

Glad you have given him so much room, it is lovely to see. How much current is that filter putting out ? Betta do not like much water current, it can stress them badly. If you can turn the flow as low as it will go. Nearly still water is best. Maybe try adjusting how the water enters the tank if that's possible. Move the filter to one end instead of the middle, perhaps ?

What kind of substrate, [ gravel ] do you have ? It should be soft and rounded. Coarse or rough gravel can literally rub their fins off. I have had fish this happened to, and it took a long time for them to regrow the damaged tissues. They do have a tendency to spend time at the tank bottom, so gravel can be a problem for them.

If the spots have healed, I would lower the temperature a bit, gradually. 82 is a bit on the warm side. They do not, despite what many sites say, need truly tropical temperatures. I have a good pal who imports them from Thailand, knows several breeders. None keep their fish that warm. I kept mine around 76 - 78 and they were quite lively.

Salt is good, tonic and treatment too. If you can get some, Indian Almond leaf, [catappa tree leaf], is very beneficial to Betta and many fish. Naturally antibiotic, adds humic and tannic acids to the water which they appreciate. Does tint water yellow, the fish will like that even if you don't. Add a leaf to the tank, leave 'til it is almost a skeleton, replace with new leaf.

If possible, try a different food. He might be used to something else, but never leave uneaten food in the tank for long. Do partial water changes bi weekly or weekly, depending on how it tests out. And you really don't need to buy preconditioned water.

Most of them do quite well in tap water. You just add your own dechlorinator. Prime is the very best one, very concentrated, so it lasts a long, long time. Looks like it costs more, but it's actually very economical instead.

Hope he improves.. sometimes there is not much you can do besides wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom