Pest I Think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
have u ever see the little white things that run around on your live rock? there very very small. seems like u got millions. well i think i have one in my tank thats HUGE compared to the little ones running around on the LR I just seen it for the first time and my tanks been set up for about 2 months now.
Its about half the size of a meal worm and greyish clear looking i think its has more then 4 legs and has tunicles on its head. looks just like the things running on the rocks lol
i dont know how to describe it. i figure i dont have enough info to find out what it is. and my camera sucks and theres no way to get a clear picture of it. but can any one guess what it is?
also it moves quick
should i get a shrimp or crab to take care of this guy?

also i just wante to add i have mushrooms and polyps on their way here and should be at my home on weds. will this thing hurt them. if i add them to the tank

If it is what MT posted in that link it is a good thing a sign of a healthy tank they are called amphipods....

Yes. The smaller ones your seeing are called copepods, and the larger as pictured are called amphipods (AKA- pods). They are beneficial for a few reasons. They are good detritus consumers, and some fish and/or corals will feed directly on them or on their offspring. As said, a sign of a healthy tank.

They reproduce like little SW rabbits...first you see one and then you look again and there are tons of them!!! If you have some macro in your fuge or HOB it will serve as a habitat for them.....at night when the lights are out take a flashlight and have a look at the tank...you will see a ton of little critters....

Iagree, and you should start seeing their molts as well.

wow. so i must be doing things good then. right? well i guess i will have to order some macro and place it in the refuge asap. huh lol

well ever since i was done the cycling with the live rock i always seen them little bug on my rock but never this size. i guess i need to do some research huh. roka said

Iagree, and you should start seeing their molts as well.

now how do i clean them up? or do they just fade away? i dont think i would like all that stuff in my main display.

You will never notice it...you might see a molt float by but you wont see them in a pile or anything like that....no worries

I agree, I really only see the molts when I clean or move my phs. I will see an occasional molt float by, nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom