Pezzep's 75g Rimless Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
image.jpg
This is more of a journal than anything for myself so I can take photos of my progress and how the plants grow and how the layout changes and so on.

Dimensions are 48"L x 24"D x 15"H

Running CO2 at about 2 bps and has a sump underneath that gets pumped out by a canister filter

Didn't do much planning or anything for the current layout since I moved so I had to set it up relatively fast to get the fish in. Plan to change the layout and get rid of the background I don't like it one bit would rather a black background but the previous owner loaded the silicone to it.

Currently has 21 rummy nose tetras 3 Cardinal tetras 1 ember tetra 4 German blue Rams, 8 bronze cories, 6 kuhli loaches. 2 black kuhli loaches, 1 albino bristlenose pleco and my brothers Dragon Goby till he sets up his tank.

Trying to think of larger show fish to have was thinking discus but it's pretty shallow so not sure it would work well for them and I don't really wanna use a lid takes away from the point of having a rimless and having a discus jump out on me would be quite the loss to the wallet. Any suggestions to layout designs or fish would be nice, thanks.

img_3289742_0_6d915aee3727c24dd66bf6b44b8ff347.jpg

bought most my rummy nose tetras a few days ago went to the pet store after work today just to look around cause it's on my way and see that all of them have ich come home and see mine have ich -sigh- cranked the heat and adding salt tonight all should be well I've had ich before on neons but I had a nursery tank then this time I don't so hopefully it doesn't spread and they all die off

Angelfish come to mind, although the height issue could still be a problem. I don't know much about them, are there any kind that stay smaller than others?

Too bad about the ich. How is the tank going to be scaped? That's a huge tank to be rimless; you could have a really sweet setup in there.

^ Angelfish were another option but I think 15 is too short. I'm glad I've never had Ich. I've been racking my brain for fish for your tank and the best bigger show fish I could think of was rainbows and I've heard accounts of them jumping which is a no no.

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Hmm when i use my phone it seems to show the photo but when i come on my computer i can't see the photo i posted, guess ill post it again.

Angelfish come to mind, although the height issue could still be a problem. I don't know much about them, are there any kind that stay smaller than others?

Too bad about the ich. How is the tank going to be scaped? That's a huge tank to be rimless; you could have a really sweet setup in there.

As of right now it's just a bunch of rock and drift wood i had laying around along with plants from my old tanks that i had at my old place before i got this tank i didn't do much planning so it definitely could be a lot nicer going to put a photo up soon since it seems the one i used from my phone didn't work?

I'm quite unsure as to how i want to do this tank for the reason you state, it's so huge and there is so many routes i could go i've never had a tank with this size footprint before so the options seem so endless. I'm sorta leaning towards a more minimalist style like one type of rock and possibly drift wood maybe sort of an iwagumi style? but a more variety of plants rather than they way most people go with just a single foreground plant. or i might do a side to side theme with a large rock mountain layout on one side dropping down low to the other, this would help hide the large amount of plumbing i have lol

I would be careful about salt. I think I read that loaches are sensitive to it.

yeah i might have read that somewhere too and also heard its the same for corys, i dosed half the amount it says i didnt wanna do too much and risk hurting other fish, i really need to get a nursery tank asap incase things like this happen again.

^ Angelfish were another option but I think 15 is too short. I'm glad I've never had Ich. I've been racking my brain for fish for your tank and the best bigger show fish I could think of was rainbows and I've heard accounts of them jumping which is a no no.

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Yeah i had angels before when i had my 48 bowfront, got rid of them cause i wanted to try something different they were very nice looking fish though.
I was also on the thought of rainbows cause they like to swim vertically and like good flow i got a decent powerhead on the tank to get a good flow for them to swim into but again the jumping i guess jumping can happen with any fish though too... Maybe i'll just get some of those plastic green house roofing pieces and put them over my tank for when I'm not viewing it.

went down to a creek near my house found some neat looking rock, was that ever a heavy hike back home going to go again if it stops raining today, the one day I have off and it rains...

Hopefully get some more Eco complete this weekend and then I can start rescaping might attempt to remove the 3d background today hopefully doesn't get too messy.

went down to a creek near my house found some neat looking rock, was that ever a heavy hike back home going to go again if it stops raining today, the one day I have off and it rains...

Been there done that! Brought an empty backpack with me, loaded it up and walked back to where I parked almost 2 miles away. My shoulders hurt for days and days, similar to how a seatbelt bruises your shoulder in accidents lol. Really no better way to get rock though!

I'm digging the tank! As far a show piece fish, I personally don't think tanks require a "center piece". I think large groups of schooling fish are equally as impressive

Jesse

Been there done that! Brought an empty backpack with me, loaded it up and walked back to where I parked almost 2 miles away. My shoulders hurt for days and days, similar to how a seatbelt bruises your shoulder in accidents lol. Really no better way to get rock though!

I'm digging the tank! As far a show piece fish, I personally don't think tanks require a "center piece". I think large groups of schooling fish are equally as impressive

Jesse

Yeah I did the same thing just loaded up a backpack brought my dog along for the hike too should invest in a little doggy backpack he can help haha.

I definitely wanna get more rummy nose tetras and get rid of the few odd ends of other schooling fish I got in there like my 3 cardinals and my brothers ember tetra, I love the way the rummys stay together.

I usually like having a few bigger fish but I'm in no hurry also still settling in here and still wanna get my scape right so the less fish in the tank while I'm doing that the better

bought more about a week substrate they didn't have Eco complete where I go so I picked up some flourite and holy is that stuff messy should've just waited for Eco lol added it to one side and some to the back to give more substrate for my plants to root into, was lacking.

fish have been ich clear for a while now lost two rummy nose tho unfortunatly, leaving the heat up and some salt still for a bit longer just to be safe, bought a clown pleco and got a new plant, pogostemon erectus it was one of those tropics 123 things so it's real sort right now and most likely grown emeresed so we'll see how well that goes

changed the layout so I will have photos and possibly video of the tank when it's more clear added a bit more substrate today so it's a little cloudy and was fooling around with stuff.

Also co2 question for those who have used it since this is my first time, I got a drop checker and the solution isn't green the whole time the co2 is on but gets green around 7 and lights go off at 9-930 I forget what my timers set to. Should I turn the co2 up? do I want it green longer since that's the colour indicator for a good co2 level? I'm already at at least 3bps but since my tanks so shallow maybe it's not all getting into the water coloumn that well? or should I not worry about it it's fine? thanks

Look for pH drop of
.1 in addition to the DC. My pH drops almost .3 when the co2 kicks on the last time I checked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look for pH drop of
.1 in addition to the DC. My pH drops almost .3 when the co2 kicks on the last time I checked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use a liquid test kit for my PH am I going to be able to notice a a PH drop of .1 - .3 in the colour of the liquid?

img_3295206_0_4e0a70ae7dcb25c785c5b7fe99325339.jpg

This is what I came up with when I re-scaped, wanting some rotala bonsai for the open area on the left there and might move some of the driftwood around and what not. I'm always tinkering with things...can't keep my hands out of there.

Just a short video of the tank, now to wait for things to grow in and see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom