PH Adjustment Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal_fanatic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought the 7.5ph lvl adjustment stuff, *have an angelfish, two mollies, and a rainbowshark* and right now my ph lvl is between 7.5-8.0 wayyy too high for the angelfish, so I want to adjust it down slowly. So I got the 7.5 auto adjustment powder....can I pour it in with the fish or what do I do? The box just says to pour in a packet per 10 gallons, which is what I have atm.

What is your tap water pH? (or whatever water source you use for water changes)

Most fish will adjust easily to another pH as long as it is done slowly.

If your fish are not stressed, I wouldn't worry about it. Changing pH all the time is much more stressful than a consistent high or low pH.

Kk I won't worry then all of the fish seem to be happy enough, at the moment they're munching on bloodworms, I'll just worry about amonia problems more than pH tyvm ^^

Generally, doctoring the water requires understanding of buffering capacity & accurate measurements of your water parameters ... pH KH GH, etc.

There really is no "auto adjustment powder" you can use. Most of these products just change the pH temporarily. <Because they don't contain enough buffers to overwhelm your native buffering system in your tap.> You end up with yo-yo-ing pH which is far more stressful to the fish. Better to stick with a stable pH. <And 7.5 -8 is not that high for your fish!>

As to ammonia, it is true that ammonia is more toxic at higher pH .... but the treatment is to remove the ammonia, not mess with the water. <A fully cycle tank should have no measurable ammonia anyhow...>

I completely agree. Most fish available are farm raised and adapt easily to PH levels that are out of their "norm". In my experience there is really no need to adjust PH unless for a specific reason. Meaning breeding, keeping Africans etc....................

That being said I have breed angels in water with your ph range :)

If the fish are happy leave them alone :)

I completely agree. Most fish available are farm raised and adapt easily to PH levels that are out of their "norm". In my experience there is really no need to adjust PH unless for a specific reason. Meaning breeding, keeping Africans etc....................

That being said I have breed angels in water with your ph range :)

If the fish are happy leave them alone :)
Couldn't have said it better myself....:p Totally agree!

People in general, try too hard to match their water to fish's native water condition. In 99% of the cases, your fishes will adapt to your water without any problem. In few cases, you may need to adjust if you are breeding but even difficult fishes like discuss can breed at pH of 7.5 even though most articles will not recommend this.

I am with others as well - no need to adjust your pH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom