PH Adjustment Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fender1958

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have my aquarium set up with sand which is causing my PH level to be around 7.8-8. I tested the tap to see if that was part of the problem as well but it came up at 6.8 and its not hard water. I'm just looking to keep simple fish right now such as tetras, barbs, corys, etc. With these types of fish I'm not going to need to do frequent water changes so will driftwood help at least bring it down over time to at least a 7.4-7.6? If so, should I not boil the driftwood? Or would these types of fish be fine with the 7.8-8 as long as it stays stable, which it does.

What kind of sand? Sounds like a carbonate based sand .... Quartz sand like PFS wouldn't raise pH that high. DW should lower your pH slightly overtime. The fish you mentioned should adjust to your tank's current pH as long as you acclimate them properly. You said it ... as long as it stays stable.

1. Don't worry about a pH of 7.8-8, it's fine.
2. Tapwater changes pH when CO2 gasses off. If you leave the tapwater out for 24 hours in a shallow dish or with an air pump, you may find a pH much closer to 7.8
3. what fish you keep: What size tank do you have?
4. Driftwood will bring down pH a little fora while, but eventually that fades. Do you know why frequent water changes are made? It has nothing to do with pH.
5. If the driftwood is small enough you can boil it just to get the tannin out faster, but soaking in hot water will do if it's too big for a pot.

What kind of sand? Sounds like a carbonate based sand .... Quartz sand like PFS wouldn't raise pH that high. DW should lower your pH slightly overtime. The fish you mentioned should adjust to your tank's current pH as long as you acclimate them properly. You said it ... as long as it stays stable.

What would be the best way to acclimate them?

1. Don't worry about a pH of 7.8-8, it's fine.
2. Tapwater changes pH when CO2 gasses off. If you leave the tapwater out for 24 hours in a shallow dish or with an air pump, you may find a pH much closer to 7.8
3. what fish you keep: What size tank do you have?
4. Driftwood will bring down pH a little fora while, but eventually that fades. Do you know why frequent water changes are made? It has nothing to do with pH.
5. If the driftwood is small enough you can boil it just to get the tannin out faster, but soaking in hot water will do if it's too big for a pot.

I know that water changes have nothing to do with PH. I was just stating that with the types of fish I'm looking to get, I know I wont need to do frequent water changes. Meaning that the effects of using driftwood wont wear off as apposed to a tank environment that needs frequent water changes.

My tap water is a consistent 8.0-8.2 and, as has been reported, the fish are fine. I take a little longer acclimating the fish to make sure the don't suffer from shock, but most of the LFS use tap water, so they are usually already acclimated. The danger is more from changes in pH, more so than a consistent high or low stable number.

Water changes are more for controlling nitrate build up, or for occurrences of ammonia or nitrites in any detectable level. To reduce water changes, you might consider plants, which will somewhat control nitrate level. However, I would definitely suggest water testing to confirm water quality.

Fender1958 said:
... the effects of using driftwood wont wear off as apposed to a tank environment that needs frequent water changes.

There are no driftwood effects that would alter water change frequency.

My tap water is a consistent 8.0-8.2 and, as has been reported, the fish are fine. I take a little longer acclimating the fish to make sure the don't suffer from shock, but most of the LFS use tap water, so they are usually already acclimated. The danger is more from changes in pH, more so than a consistent high or low stable number.

Water changes are more for controlling nitrate build up, or for occurrences of ammonia or nitrites in any detectable level. To reduce water changes, you might consider plants, which will somewhat control nitrate level. However, I would definitely suggest water testing to confirm water quality.

Thanks. As far as the water quality the ammonia is 0ppm, nitrites is 0ppm, and nitrates are 40ppm. So the PH was my only concern as far as water quality. My only other question would, be whats the best way of acclimating them?

I guess my first question is what type of sand are you using? Pool filter sand, or standard aquarium sand shouldn't adjust pH... Unless you purchased cichlid sand, which contains aragonite?

Fender1958 said:
Thanks. As far as the water quality the ammonia is 0ppm, nitrites is 0ppm, and nitrates are 40ppm. So the PH was my only concern as far as water quality. My only other question would, be whats the best way of acclimating them?

Arguably, the drip method is the most consistently recommended.

It is sand that contains aragonite. Which was not my intention but, one of those too late moments.

Ah, well then. The best method is drip acclimation, slow and steady, but if you're willing to deal with the challenge, bucket up all the fish, and change out the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom