PH advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi ive been noticing lately my tanks PH has been fluctuating between 6.4 -6.6 but today it dropped to 6, I did my pwc and it went up to 6.4, I have added crushed coral to my filter and now wondering if I shouldn't have? Anyone help with this as I'm not entirely sure what to do. Thank you

Looking around 7 no higher, I'm checking daily its sitting at 6.4 . I didn't put a lot of cc in so hopefully it won't go to high.

I understand crushed coral is a slow release kind of affair, so if its staying where you want with your otherwise normal tank maintenance schedule thats good.

Any idea what caused your pH fluctuation?

I'm not sure tanks been running for a few years, I did have an increase of nitrate as well which I think came from my internal filter( my juwel tanks filter was boxed in) I removed it it was awful underneath were stuff got trapped, and then I added Congo tetra so it could possibly be from that.

I wouldnt advise adding one thing to raise the pH and then another to bring it down hoping that the 2 get you where want to be. Thats a recipe for disaster.

I am wondering... when did you clean the filter last before the drop in pH? I noticed you are in Scotland? Not sure what your water supply is. Here in the states (at least in my area) we have tap water in the 7.5 to 8 reading. Well water tends to be lower, from what I hear others in the hobby. Crush coral would probably be your best bet, staying away from chemicals that lower or raise pH.

My filters are checked and cleaned weekly with tank water. My ph is sitting at 6.4 and my nitrate is back down to 10 . Ph out of the tap is 7.0, I also left the tap water sitting for 24hrs and its still 7.0, so I'm thinking my tanks ph is OK as long as it doesn't drop, I'm definitely leaving the cc in.

Back
Top Bottom