pH and KH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caudelfin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had thought if you had hard water you would have a high pH and if you had soft water you would have a lower pH.

My water measures a KH 2.5 and the pH is 8.0 on one test kit and the other is 7.6. So how do I bring the pH down without lowering the KH? My fish would love 7.0 and if it is really 8.0 they could die. (Tiger Barbs and Tinfoil Barbs with a couple of Paradise Fish.) The pH test kits are wrong often and sometimes quite abit. Some day would like to get an electronic pH reader. They are much more accurate.

Sure would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
caudelfin
:roll:

well the two different pH results you get are because one test only gets up to 7.6 and the other goes higher, so dont use the one that goes up to 7.6 until the pH starts going into that range

only get the electronic pH reader if you have the money to blow on it, just use the liquid test kits, make sure you do all correct and you should be fine

HTH :D

I had thought the same until a member recently posted parameters at different ends of the scale (soft water with a high ph). The member verified the results with the tap water overnight and it was really surprising. I can't recall who it was that created the thread at the moment.

Maybe it was me?

I ahve soft city water, 3 to 4 dkh depending on the day. out of the tap ph was over 8.8ph . after 24 hours sittign there still 8.4 ph. I foudn that vigourus aeration over a few hours fixed problem. dechlorinators did nto help either.

I theorize i tmust be some gas dissolved in the water. it is not co2 because that woould give it a low or acidic PH. so I do not know what it is. Nitrogen? Methane? Sulfur dioxide(doesnt smell bad). any ideas anyone?

Back
Top Bottom