pH and my Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exiowans

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 9-10 week old tank 75 gal tank that I am finally getting cycled. Nitrates and Nitrites = 0 Amonia is on decline and is between 1-2 down from the moon, but I am concerned with my pH. Tank contains 4 Malawi Cichlids about 2.5-3 inches and my old Plecos 9" and 12"+ respectively. They have all been through the worst part of the cycle (thats a long story as to why they were in the tank during cycling), but my pH is at around 8-8.2. This would be fine for the Cichlids, but my concern is for my Plecos. It appears that 7.2 is the target and I have not been able to find out anything about whether higher pH levels are a big problem with them. They appear to be fine and have survived 7+ weeks of severe amonia abuse (had to put them in during the cycle), but I am concerned. Should I force the pH down? Wait for the Amonia to get to 0 and see what happens? Any thoughts?

Your pH won't really stabilize completely until your cycle completes. So don't be surprised if you do see some shifts from time to time.

All that said, the plecos will be fine even if it settles up higher. It's much better for the pH to be stable (not changing) then to try to control it using chemicals. It's not ideal for invoking breeding, but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems with it where it is.

I never really concerned myself with pH during cycling as I have always cycled with no fish or those that could handle the cycle. The tank they came from was old and got a case of the bows. I was tryingto cycle this one before putting them in, but we started to show signs of leaking and the rest is history. The Plecos are kind of part of the family and normally wouldn't concern myself. Thanks for easing my stress.

common plecos can handle a lot of things. if your ammonia is 1-2 i would be doing some large water changes. keep doing wc maybe every day or two to keep it bellow .5. with no nitrites and no nitrates it seems the tank really not even cycled at all. a normal talk will have zero ammonia and nitrite but some nitrates.

All is good. All levels at zeros. pH is still a bit high, but will do the next change with RO water as I just found out....duh that tap is at the same ph as the tank. I have tested my tapwater for everything but pH and did after the Ammonia came down and the ph didn't and they are identicle. Will bring it down gradually with some smaller changes and continue using LFS water moving forward. THanks for the comments!

cycled tank has nitrates. the pleco will be fine in your tap dont mess with the water chemistry.

Well, nitrates themselves aren't good for the tank, but the by-product of the ammonia that fish produce, and the cycle that processes the waste turns it into nitrate.

So, the readings of a properly cycled tank are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, x (greater than 0) nitrates.

Plants need some nitrate, and other things, but generally 0 nitrate is not seen.

What test kit are you using? The one most of us use (API Master Fresh Water), is difficult because you have to shake bottle #2 of the nitrate really well (30 seconds) and then shake the test tube for a full minute. If you are using this kit and not shaking it, you could be getting a false reading.

Hope that helps :)

We'll I learned a test kit trick that I didn't know. Tested with API as I always have and no nitrates...none bright yellow. Did it per Tayorodw's instructions and low and behold I've got nitrates! Somewhere close to 5ppm! Thanks for the lesson! I've used API for a few years on my other tanks and either had high nitrates due to a problem or zero when the problem corrected or the cycle was done. Evidently I have had some nitrates all along. Does this method apply to salt as well? I guess I'll test it there too since I have 0 there as well! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom