pH contradiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422759277.987452.jpg

So my tank is in a fish less cycle and I've recorded all my readings since I started. I've read a 7.4 pH since the beginning of my cycle (a week ago) and it has not changed a bit.

I test my pH today and I get these results. The yellow tube is high pH (API Master Test Kit) and what I have been using. Yellow is not on my charts for high pH so I tested normal pH. The reading looks to be about 7.0-7.2. The only difference in the tank since I started the tank cycle was adding some large rocks(from LFS) about an hour before I did my test.

Could the rocks be what has dropped my pH? If not, why is it suddenly changing?

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Fairly common in a fishless cycle to see a drop in ph. Have you performed any water changes since starting? A decent wc should help to replenish buffers and minerals necessary for the cycling process and bring your ph back to normal range. Without a wc, your ph will continue to steadily fall until your cycle stalls or crashes. Hope this helps!

When I was doing my fishless cycle my pH was dropping from 7.8 to 6.6 within 24 hours. The nitrites--->nitrates will cause the pH to decrease pretty rapidly. As was said, water changes will help keep it up. I ended up adding a bag of crushed coral to my filter during the cycle to keep the water buffered since doing large 75+ gallon water changes daily was adding up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

When I was doing my fishless cycle my pH was dropping from 7.8 to 6.6 within 24 hours. The nitrites--->nitrates will cause the pH to decrease pretty rapidly. As was said, water changes will help keep it up. I ended up adding a bag of crushed coral to my filter during the cycle to keep the water buffered since doing large 75+ gallon water changes daily was adding up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah it's a 75 gallon tank. I'll do a WC tommorow and try to find some crushed coral.

Caleb

Thanks for the tips guys. It just came off strange to me ?

Caleb

The growing bacteria uses up the buffers in the water as it grows which drops pH. It's perfectly normal to see ph changes during cycling.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless the pH drops to around 6.8 or lower in which case just do a water change. The beneficial bacteria slow down at around that point.

The growing bacteria uses up the buffers in the water as it grows which drops pH. It's perfectly normal to see ph changes during cycling.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it unless the pH drops to around 6.8 or lower in which case just do a water change. The beneficial bacteria slow down at around that point.

Thanks for simplifying. I'll keep an eye on it and I have some crushed coral on the way. I need it back up for my cichlids.

Caleb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom