PH crash after cycle, need an expert!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco - my guess as to what happened to you is that since the ammonia-processing bacteria weren't generating nitrIte for that bacteria colony, the lack of food (nitrItes) caused some of your population to die off. I'm not an expert, though.

You know after reading a little about the chemistry involved here (I hate chemistry) I think I've made some sense out of what is going on here.

I've fishless cycled successfully twice before, but both times were saltwater, and any salt mix has a bunch of stuff in it that buffers the water. That's why I've never run into this problem before. Also, all of the fishless cycle literature I've found never mentions PWCs because it seems to be saltwater-based.

It seems the pH crash problem we're having came as a result of the lack of PWCs we're doing during our fishless cycle and the generation of nitrates towards the end of the cycle. PWCs are usually enough "buffering" to keep the pH relatively stable, so it seems that additives aren't necessary. The problem seemed to be exacerbated in our cases because we have softer water.

What should really happen is that fishless cycle literature should specify that PWCs are necessary DURING the cycle on the same magnitude as you would have if your tank was stocked with fish, instead of just doing a 100% water change right before you add fish. I'm going to do weekly 20% PWCs and continue with my same fishless cycle routine until I see the bacteria process the 2-4ppm of ammonia into nitrAtes within 24 hours.

Last night I did a >80% PWC and then put 2 ppm of ammonia in the tank. 18 hours later (now) the readings are about 0.25ppm of both ammonia and nitrIte, which makes sense because before the pH crash, the bacteria population was able to bring it down to zero after 24 hours.

It seems that the low pH affects the ability of the ammonia processing bacteria to process the ammonia, but it doesn't kill off the colony of bacteria that's there. That's a good thing for us, because we will most likely not have to wait 6 more weeks and do the whole cycle over again.

As of right now, I'm going to wait until next weekend (4/9-4/10) to add fish, and until then, I'm going to try and build up my bacteria population to process as much ammonia as possible. All while keeping a close eye on my pH.

Hopefully this sounds reasonable to the people who actually know what they're talking about?

Adam you make a great point about the pwc's. Especially due to the fact that the bacteria isn't in the actual water, it seems like it'd make sense to do a few pwc's during the cycle to keep things like this from happening. I don't think my cycle is ruined either, I just think I had a small bacteria die off because the pH crash basically shocked the heck out of it.

This has been an enlightening experience. I hope we stay in touch

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

Deckape, I'd probably wait for a third party opinion since our knowledge is virtually identical, but IMO you're good to go. I think you're pH didn't crash hard enough to cause a bacteria die off. It would have been nice if this had been mentioned in all the guides that it could happen. I would have definitely kept a closer watch on the pH immediately following my cycle.

AdamHorton said:
eco - my guess as to what happened to you is that since the ammonia-processing bacteria weren't generating nitrIte for that bacteria colony, the lack of food (nitrItes) caused some of your population to die off. I'm not an expert, though.

You know after reading a little about the chemistry involved here (I hate chemistry) I think I've made some sense out of what is going on here.

I've fishless cycled successfully twice before, but both times were saltwater, and any salt mix has a bunch of stuff in it that buffers the water. That's why I've never run into this problem before. Also, all of the fishless cycle literature I've found never mentions PWCs because it seems to be saltwater-based.

It seems the pH crash problem we're having came as a result of the lack of PWCs we're doing during our fishless cycle and the generation of nitrates towards the end of the cycle. PWCs are usually enough "buffering" to keep the pH relatively stable, so it seems that additives aren't necessary. The problem seemed to be exacerbated in our cases because we have softer water.

What should really happen is that fishless cycle literature should specify that PWCs are necessary DURING the cycle on the same magnitude as you would have if your tank was stocked with fish, instead of just doing a 100% water change right before you add fish. I'm going to do weekly 20% PWCs and continue with my same fishless cycle routine until I see the bacteria process the 2-4ppm of ammonia into nitrAtes within 24 hours.

Last night I did a >80% PWC and then put 2 ppm of ammonia in the tank. 18 hours later (now) the readings are about 0.25ppm of both ammonia and nitrIte, which makes sense because before the pH crash, the bacteria population was able to bring it down to zero after 24 hours.

It seems that the low pH affects the ability of the ammonia processing bacteria to process the ammonia, but it doesn't kill off the colony of bacteria that's there. That's a good thing for us, because we will most likely not have to wait 6 more weeks and do the whole cycle over again.

As of right now, I'm going to wait until next weekend (4/9-4/10) to add fish, and until then, I'm going to try and build up my bacteria population to process as much ammonia as possible. All while keeping a close eye on my pH.

Hopefully this sounds reasonable to the people who actually know what they're talking about?

I think you pretty much perfectly summed up the past, present and future of our aquariums.

We are good to go Eric. This has been fun and very educational. I am sure we will make mistakes along the way but that's life. Now let's put some in those tanks. Thanks everybody

Deckape said:
We are good to go Eric. This has been fun and very educational. I am sure we will make mistakes along the way but that's life. Now let's put some in those tanks. Thanks everybody

BTW (off topic), you sold me on the zebra danios. I'm gonna get 8 of them instead of guppys. It'll be my little salute to you for all the help and teamwork along the way.

eco23 said:
BTW (off topic), you sold me on the zebra danios. I'm gonna get 8 of them instead of guppys. It'll be my little salute to you for all the help and teamwork along the way.

Class act you are my new friend.

I take it all back in my case. I definitely have reverted in my cycle a few days. I seem to be spiking in nitrItes again as they've risen to .75. I'm just gonna go another week and keep doing pwc's to keep the levels down so I don't get another pH crash again and have the same thing happen. I think I'm basically set back 3 days but I'll update what happens. Thanks again for all the help.

Sorry bro. Mine were ph7, 0 ammo and nitrites, 40 nitrates. 50 percent PWC after the readings. Going to go get danios in the morning or early afternoon. Have a good one.

Deckape said:
Sorry bro. Mine were ph7, 0 ammo and nitrites, 40 nitrates. 50 percent PWC after the readings. Going to go get danios in the morning or early afternoon. Have a good one.

No biggie, I've waited this long...what's another week to make sure it's all perfect. The tank looks nice and is peaceful in the room, fish will just be a bonus.

Nice attitude! Keep in touch ok

Hey. Eco what was your ph?

Deckape said:
Hey. Eco what was your ph?

Staying steady at 7.2. I'll be keeping a sharp eye on it to say the least. Just the darn nitrItes spiking that's got my eyebrow raised.

I bought a hardness test (water was REALLY soft) and alkalinity was almost nil. I bought some crushed coral and mesh bags. I just have no idea how much to add. I have another thread asking but haven't gotten a response yet. So if anyone in here knows?

Since you did a PWC yesterday and from what 7enigma said, you'll probally be ok. May go down some. Last Sunday I did a 80 percent PWC to get my nitrites and nitrates down to a readable level and my ph was low. That's probally why my crash wasn't as bad as yours and Adam's. I didn't realize exactly why until you heard from Enigma. That was an awesome move asking him directly by the way! He is even going to amend the " bible" because of it....Newbies we are but more wise newbies, and friends.

I have silly amounts of respect for that guy when it comes to this hobby. I've always refered to him as the mad scientist, turns out he actually is a scientist, haha.

Yea I peeked at his profile before. I thought you knew when you said he was a mad scientist.

Just to update this thread, I added the crushed coral (into mesh bags in my HOB filter) and within minutes it had raised my pH up to 7.6 (same as out the tap!) and is holding steady.

Its also increasing the KH which will hopefully keep it at that level. Ammonia is dropping, nitrItes are spiking again (up to 2.0) and nitrAtes are rising. It's exactly like the end of my previous cycle.

I'm gonna keep the levels in check with pwc's so I don't have a problem with any more crashes (hopefully the coral would take care of that anyway). The last thing I want is to have another crash that causes a bacteria die off and makes me do this a third time.

For future reference, the advice I got from the guy who basically wrote the book on fishless cycling (7enigma) said he would revise his article to include a 50% pwc during the cycle to replenish the alkaline to prevent crashes at the end.

I'm set back a little, but with the addition of the CC and the knowledge I've gained along the way, I think the fish that eventually move in are gonna have about as healthy of a home as possible.

Back
Top Bottom