Ph help - new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So do those water changers put water in? Or just pull it out? Just wondering, and I saw some filter stuff awhile back I got the topfin 75, dual filter and dual bio harnes filter stuff... with that being said can I change out my actual filters with no pproblems to my bacteria comunity as long as I don't mess with the bio filter? Or should I follow the sbove advice and not mess with my regular filters aswell...

So do those water changers put water in? Or just pull it out? Just wondering, and I saw some filter stuff awhile back I got the topfin 75, dual filter and dual bio harnes filter stuff... with that being said can I change out my actual filters with no pproblems to my bacteria comunity as long as I don't mess with the bio filter? Or should I follow the sbove advice and not mess with my regular filters aswell...

If you switch the actual Filter thats no problem, just as long as you transfer your old filter media into the new filter your fine.

rider6 said:

Regarding the filters: can you run them both for a while? If not, I would put the old media, cartridge, etc in the new one, along with any gunk that is in the old one.

Water changers as you buy them from Python or Aqueon, have a valve thing that hooks up to a faucet. The faucet creates a siphon and you remove water and gravel vac. Then you turn the valve thing and adjust the temp of the water and add it directly to your tank. Always put dechlorinator in the tank and swish it around before adding the water. I know you can buy the valve thing separately. Not sure on the DIY designs how they work. One design called for a waterbed filling kit which must have a similar valve thing. I have a 50' Aqueon model. My water pressure and the long length, makes it not siphon very well. So use the hose connected to one of those bulbs that squeeze to create a siphon, and it drains in my tub. Then I attach the valve and fill the tanks from the faucet.

Wow thanks! So put my water cleaner in the tank first then fill after I vacced it out? Just trying to get the steps down right so I don't loose fish, and does it matter when I do my water changes. I'm a week and a half into my first cycle, should I wait for my first cycle to complet? And then start my weekly 25% water changes?

rider6 said:
Wow thanks! So put my water cleaner in the tank first then fill after I vacced it out? Just trying to get the steps down right so I don't loose fish, and does it matter when I do my water changes. I'm a week and a half into my first cycle, should I wait for my first cycle to complet? And then start my weekly 25% water changes?

If by "water cleaner" you mean dechlorinator like Prime, yes. If you have fish already, you need to be doing water changes almost daily until the cycle is complete. Anytime ammonia or nitrite reaches .25 or more calls for a water change. After they are consistently 0 you can start doing weekly water changes of 25-50% depending on your nitrate level.

Ok they want really any change in my levels yesterday. Nitrite looked a shade darker so I done a 25% pwc. Then tested the water again ammonia 0-0.25
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0-5

This not morning I am getting the same readings. What does this man? Its like everything slowed down almost to a stop

No, vacuum the water out first then put the dechlorinator in, otherwise your'e just taking it back out again :)

Not sure what you mean by first cycle? Right now you have to do water changes whenever ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25. This can go on a while until the cycle finishes. When the cycle is done then yes you can do one weekly water change, 50% is recommended.

No, vacuum the water out first then put the dechlorinator in, otherwise your'e just taking it back out again :)

Not sure what you mean by first cycle? Right now you have to do water changes whenever ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25. This can go on a while until the cycle finishes. When the cycle is done then yes you can do one weekly water change, 50% is recommended.

He had started a fish in cycle and at one point took the filter cartridge out after some period of time going by advice given to him by petco/petsmart. I told him that by taking out the cartridge all the progress he made was basically taken away and he was essentially starting over on the cycle.

Considering you just changed your filter cartridge, your doing well. Don't get discouraged. If I were you, I wouldn't even clean the cartridge for a week or two. Just let those bacteria have a heyday!

You are getting ammonia, it is just that the bacteria that convert it to nitrite are colonizing and multiplying. It is ok that the ammonia is not going up. It is actually a good thing :)

The nitrites are still very slowly going up. Still not getting any ammonia though.

That's a good sign, an increase in nitrites means the bacteria is beginning to process the ammonia, sounds like your moving along nicely!

Yeah they told me to change my filter after it was a month old. Funny thing is this person claims to be aquatics expert and has all kinds of aquariums at home :-( allot of stuff she told me was right but a few things were wrong

Yeah they told me to change my filter after it was a month old. Funny thing is this person claims to be aquatics expert and has all kinds of aquariums at home :-( allot of stuff she told me was right but a few things were wrong

They may have aquariums at home but may not know how to properly maintain them, aka them giving you the advice about changing the cartridge. This is my second time with fish, first time was about 4 years ago, I did the same thing, I changed out the cartridges. You live and you learn, like I said before the point is you have learned and are correcting your mistakes! And I'm sure a lot is them just say that stuff just to sell the products. It's sad but true.

I'm actually going back to take the variatus back they have a 30 day warranty on fish. I took a sample of the water when it died Thursday I don't know if out will still give her a good reading. I'm also taking a new sample for her to test so I can compare with my readings. She told me to put the fish in the freezer and bring it back when I can (I live an hour away)

kwandrsn said:

Yep, it happens. There are lots of "experts" in pet stores.

Back
Top Bottom