PH level at 7.8 (good or bad?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gdcmv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
This morning during the lights on time and having the co2 ON (1 bubble/second) I have measure the pH. This comes just under 8 (I say 7.8).
The thank is a 65 litter with 4 plants, 6 gupies, 2 nerite snails and 3 shrimps.
All are ok, except the RCS not having baby's.
What do you think? Is that pH OK?
Thank you for your comments.

It is my understanding that fish can adapt to most pH given a gentle enough acclimation period. If I am wrong, someone please correct me!

How are you testing your pH? Strips or liquid tests?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Liquid. Is the API master test kit. All other tests are OK 0, 0 and just over 20 nitrates.
Any opinion?...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From my I understanding the PH will drop with continued use of Co2 and rise when oxygen is produced by the plants at night time or by aeration.
7.8 is usually high for what you have but not necessarily bad. In the wild Ph fluctuates a lot, either by season especially when trees shed leaves or if a boat passes by or by the number of plants, or day or night, etc. as long as it's gradual change I can't see it being a problem.
I might attempt to set a goal to lower it to like 6.8-7.2 over time but only slowly like maybe 2 drops of Co2 or with driftwood. But if the plants are doing well with new growth or are shedding leaves and what not you should probably leave it alone and see if it drops a little bit naturally. manually adjusting the Ph rapidly is really more harmful than good usually. It probably will not change much besides bacteria stability of if you had discus or other sensitive fish it might be more important but otherwise it's nothing really.

I think my ph controller read 7.4 starting tonight and 5 hours later had the ph nudging 6.9.

The lfs guy said he aimed for 6.7 to 6.8 (with I assume similar tap water) but I chickened out and set mine to turn off co2 at 6.9.

If your CO2 is "always on" and not run with a solenoid, then your pH at the point the lights turn on is about as low as it will get because of carbonic acid that built up overnight.

As the plants use carbon, the tank pH will raise a bit and go higher during the day. The size of the swing varies based on each tank's unique factors.

I would test in the afternoon to see what happens.

I tested my tap water and is under or around 7. What can raise the pH that much?

Attachments

• 1424110415797.jpg
    1424110415797.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 98
Ammonium is basic... That could do it if you have a lot of it built up.

Generally tanks trend down in pH, though, unless you're actively buffering it.

I'm not sure what is causing your issue. What a head scratcher!

My co2 is on solenoid and stop one hour before light off.

I have in the amphorae and in the pot crushed sea shells sand.

One of the decorations have a chipped corner.

Any thoughts?

my ph is 7.8 from the tap and all fish have always adapted just fine. I never kept discus or fish that need really low PH though

I done a test today. I filed one glass bowl with water and left it to stay for seven hours. The pH was 7.8. In conclusion my tap water end up at that pH.
Now regarding the RCS. What can I do, to make them happy and to have baby's.

I done a test today. I filed one glass bowl with water and left it to stay for seven hours. The pH was 7.8. In conclusion my tap water end up at that pH.
Now regarding the RCS. What can I do, to make them happy and to have baby's.

There's quite a bit of info in this thread that may help. Look this over and if you've got anymore questions, just ask. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/feeding-red-cherry-shrimps-spinach-329278.html

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Back
Top Bottom