Ph of 6!!! Help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just set up a 5G for a dwarf puffer and haven't even put my drift wood in yet and PH just tested 6??!
Water is from exactly the same tap I use for other tank and it is always 7.5 24 hours after PWC, it has fake decor and is stocked with tetras and cory's (16G)
Does a stocked, cycled tank always have different PH to a new, empty tank??
Worried now, should I leave wood out...as this will lower PH further?

Many thanks in advance for help :-/

Is this in the wrong place? Can someone let me know if there is a better place to post this please. Cheers

How long has the new tank been full of water ( don't forget to cycle it before adding fish of course) your ph will rise overnight as the gas in the water dissipates. if its newly filled with water.

How long has the new tank been full of water ( don't forget to cycle it before adding fish of course) your ph will rise overnight as the gas in the water dissipates. if its newly filled with water.

Has had water in for about 24 hours? Will be adding cycled filter media from my other tank and will of course check water daily and do changes when required :) I want a happy healthy fish...I don't think he will be with a PH of 6 though? Neither will my BB!! Is this normal for new tank water? Thanks for input

Thats a bit odd. What type of substrate do you have? Filter media? What type of substrate is in your other tank? Hold off on the dw until we are able to figure out whats going on with your ph. I would also set out a container of tap water with an airstone or bubbler. If you dont have an extra, just give it a good stir every so often to help release dissolved gasses. Test the ph in this in 24hrs and let us know what it reads as well as what your ph is straight from the tap.

Thats a bit odd. What type of substrate do you have? Filter media? What type of substrate is in your other tank? Hold off on the dw until we are able to figure out whats going on with your ph. I would also set out a container of tap water with an airstone or bubbler. If you dont have an extra, just give it a good stir every so often to help release dissolved gasses. Test the ph in this in 24hrs and let us know what it reads as well as what your ph is straight from the tap.

I'll do that and update you, thanks! It struck me as very odd too...I am using sand for the first time and the tank came with giant sponge block filter which has compartments for biomax and carbon. I was also going to add my seeded filter media from other tank several hours before I put the fish in. I have the Fluval spec 19L if that is any help?!

Should I wait before I add plants or might this help??

Many thanks for help so far.

..sorry on app and no edit button??

Was meaning to add, my current tank, with 7.5 PH, has gravel substrate and fake decor. The sand I have used for new set up is for aquariums from pet shop. Hope we can work out this puzzle?!

Lets start with the tap tests and go from there. Nothing you mentioned should have caused a change in ph. Hopefully, the tap tests will offer a bit more insight! :)

Lets start with the tap tests and go from there. Nothing you mentioned should have caused a change in ph. Hopefully, the tap tests will offer a bit more insight! :)

Ok....straight out of tap is Ph of 6 (don't think I have ever tested this before, even before setting up first tank...enlightening)

Just tested new 5G and it is now 7, must have just needed more time to gas off??

My 16G is still 7.5...I don't know if my tap PH has changed recently but I am now worried about doing my routine water changes and shocking my fish with big drop in PH?? I usually change 40%, often more than once a week because I like to keep nitrate below 5. Any advice regarding this would be very much appreciated :)

I don't know that there is an "average" but KH of 6 is sufficient as far as buffering capacity goes.

I just ment I'd read that between 3-10 was acceptable for buffering and assumed 6 was fine. Thanks for input

It sounds like the PH out of your tap is 6 but when it gasses off it rises to about 7.5. THe tap test you're performing on the glass of water that JLK suggested will let us know for sure. If this is the case there's nothing to worry about with water changes. My tap PH is 8.4 but it gasses off to 7.2 which is what my tank's PH is. I do 50% water changes weekly (a few times larger as I forgot the siphon was on lol) and my fish haven't shown any problems with the fluctuation so I think you'll be fine in terms of water changes.

Reactions: jlk
It sounds like the PH out of your tap is 6 but when it gasses off it rises to about 7.5. THe tap test you're performing on the glass of water that JLK suggested will let us know for sure. If this is the case there's nothing to worry about with water changes. My tap PH is 8.4 but it gasses off to 7.2 which is what my tank's PH is. I do 50% water changes weekly (a few times larger as I forgot the siphon was on lol) and my fish haven't shown any problems with the fluctuation so I think you'll be fine in terms of water changes.

Excellent, that is reassuring! Thanks very much....will test the water in cup tonight to confirm this.

So, water out of tap that sat for 24hrs with agitation was only 6.5, however water in my 5G now looks to be between 7. I think that's ok isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom