ph probes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james37128

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have to be missing something. A few months ago I bought a pinpoint monitor with a new probe from someone here on RC. I couldn't get it to calibrate. The member said he never calibrated the new probe to the unit, but stated it was brand new. So I thought maybe I just got a bad probe, ordered a new one from Marine depot. Same problem, so then I suspected it was the actual monitor itself. I bought an aqua controller jr. NOW with BOTH probe I STILL cannot calibrate either of them to either the pinpoint or the aqua controller. I use battery power with the pinpoint because i read that the ac unit could cause interference. I took both units as far away from electrical interferences as my house will allow. The aqua controller jr and the latest probe are both brand new bought from reputable online sources. The monitor and other probe, the monitor is definitely used and 99.99% sure the probe was brand new when the other member sent it to me. I must not be using the probes correctly or something. It really feels like when you get some new electronic device and there is that little plastic tab you have to remove for the battery to contact the device so it will start working. Or better yet, there is a plastic cover on the probe that i need to take off. It feels like there is something like that that is really obvious but I am missing it. Please Help.:confused:

Welcome to AA!

Is this what you have? Pinpoint pH Monitor | Monitors | Testing Equipment | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Was it shipped with the white plastic cover on the tip of the probe? I don't have this same probe, but my probe also came with a plastic cover. There was some salt build-up around it and that keeps it from drying out in shipment. I took off the plastic cover, rinsed the probe in some distilled water, calibrated it in the calibration fluid, rinsed it in distilled water again, and put it in my tank. If this doesn't help, maybe someone will come along that has this brand of probe and knows how to get it started.

I have the Pinpoint and it's exactly like you described. There was a soft plastic cover that had to be removed. Save it for storage should you ever need it. The probe needs to be replaced every 18 months or so. You'll know it when the readings are completely out of whack.

pH probes are notorious for being incorrect... which is why calibrating them is a huge issue. Yes, it should have some sort of protection for the glass part of the probe that does the measuring, and always remember to rinse the probe in freshwater (if you are using it for sw) before you put it away.

HTH

Yes i did take the cap off. and When it was sitting out of the tank i put the cap back on with the fluid in it to keep it wet. still dont know whats going wrong..

wacky readings. if i calibrate to the lowest possible setting on the pinpoint i can only get the 7.0 solution down to about 8.3. Not exactly the same with both probes. Then with the aquacontroller one stays around 12.0 and the other around 7.0 (but its the same even after i switch from 7.0 solution to 10.0, or even if i put it in 4.0 solution it stays about the same for all of them, may change a very little bit). Thanks for any more advice I can get.

I contacted American Marine they gladly said they would take the probe back and ship me a new one. I just hope they don't call me and tell me "the probe is good". I still got stuck with one bad probe (I bought it from someone else so I dont have proof of purchase). Thanks for your help! Has anyone else heard that they take hours to adjust??? I did leave it in one solution for about an hour but no change.

No, the point of a pH probe is to read it instantaneously. Though there are meters that have probes that are left in the water continuously I believe.

Hope the replacement works

My Pinpoint is in continuous use. It works and is accurate. I check the calibration semi-annually and it does not vary. When it goes whacky I know it's time for a new probe. Now I have the 18 month mark calendered so I'll have the replacement probe on hand when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom