pH problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David03

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
I'm getting some strange water parameters with my cycle. I'm using Oceanic salt and I believe am using it in the right concentration on my 75 gallon w/ 30g fuge.

Right now, my SG is at 1.023 @ 80.6 degrees. Ammonia is at 0. Nitrites at 0. And Nitrates are under 5.

pH... when I first started measuring with a digital device, pH was at 7.7, even with my SG in the "normal" range. Got some calibrating solution, and turns out my pH was probably around 7.1 (device was off by +.6). I used some SeaChem "Marine Buffer," per the LFS, which is supposed to bring it up to 8.3. Right now I'm at about 7.8, and trying to get it up there.

Has anyone else had this issue with their salt? Or could something else be causing this low pH problem? I think my alkaline is fairly normal, testing at about 100-125 (though the test I have is hard to distinguish).

Little worried, because I have some cleanup crew in there now, along with some LR hitchikers (including a cool serpent star), and I don't want to lose them after having made it through the cycle.

Thanks in advance for your help.
David

I experienced the same thing with oceanic salt but not to the extent you have. It lowered my ph to 7.8 where instant ocean salt keeps it at 8.0. I know many people on here have had opposite experiences though. :?

As always, thanks Fluff.

I guess I can just assume that using the buffer to bring it up to 8.3 or so is the best thing (and safe thing )to do. Do the buffers usually hold, or do you need to keep using them? Anyone else have any pH buffers that they love?

Frankly, sounds like this salt mix business is a bit of a crapshoot. I read post after post here where the Oceanic people love Oceanic and disliked IO, whereas you and my LFS have said the exact opposite... and primarily because of pH. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Thanks again,
David

few people have a correct pH when the tank is still cycling. for one, the tank is far from mature. secondly, the cycling process creates acids which lower pH from normal levels.

I use oceanic salt, and my pH is never below 8.1...and the only reason it's not 8.2-8.3 is because I have problems dosing alk buffer often enough to maintain good alk levels, and alk is directly related to pH.

Thanks Malkore,
In fact you were one of the Oceanic users I was thinking about, as I made my salt choice (from a number of previous SW mix thread).

So, I guess I'll just keep buffering with the Sea Chem, until things settle down...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom