Ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kharrnn

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I started my tank and was testing the water I was getting a consistent Ph reading of 7.2. Several weeks later though I am somewhere around 8.0. What can cause this, and how can I slowly lower it to approximately 7.0?

About my tank...
10g
Pretty heavily planted with Elodea, Red foxtail, Moss ball, Java moss, 2 kinds of swords, and 2 other plants that I don't know the names of.
Upgraded the lighting to a 72w 4 bulb about a week ago (12 on, 12 off)
Temp steady at 77
3 Otos and ~40-50 red cherry shrimp

From everything I've been reading most plants do best in 6.5-7.2 Ph and the critters I have also prefer lower Ph. I've noticed that the shrimp are not breeding after the first group hatched and I see females with saddles so I know they are ready.

I know I can get peat and it will lower it, I even found this peat ball online that looks awesome, but I don't want to shock my critters so I want to go slowly. Also, I don't want to use chemicals if I can avoid it (and I'm sure it's possible to avoid). I do dose my tank with co2 daily and with ferts, iron and potassium weekly. I tested the tap water and it's also coming up with an 8.0 Ph so I know it's not just my tank.

Any input would be very much appreciated!

I added driftwood to my tank to lower the pH but I have not seen any results. My understanding is the tannin drops the pH I may have boil all the tannin out.

what is you substrate? my playsand raised my ph by .6 and co2 should be helping lower it

I have eco complete substrate and a piece of driftwood.

also i 'try to lower the ph, if it is consistently staying at the new range it has been at then i wouldn't worry to much, if it starts fluctuating more then you should start to wonder

Back
Top Bottom