PH Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't seem to find the answer for my question in previous posts. Should powerheads be run all day long or should a timer be used to set up a schedule? If so, how long per day? and should the "on" time be devided throughout the day? thanks everyone!!

I run mine 24/7, although they are all controlled by a wavemake. A wavemaker is a timer that turns your powerheads on and off for brief periods. This recreates the wave action over the reefs and creates some surge and turbulance.

I have a digital timer that allows up to 8 on/off's per day. I will be using 2 PH's and conveniently the timer has 2 power outlets. Would this timer come in handy for PH use at all? The only problem is that both outlets on the timer can't be controlled seperately. If one is on, so is the other. If I were to plug both PH's into this timer and set varying on/off periods throughout the day, would that act somewhat like a wave maker? Would this be useful at all?

I've read that some people turn of the PHs at feeding time. I run mine 24/7 as does Kevin. IMO using the timer would not be an effective wavemaker. The best you could hope for is turning them both off for 1 minute and then back on and you could that only 4x/day. A wavemaker cycles the PHs continuously and the off period is shorter than a minute.

Ya... Thats what I'm gonna do. I originally bought this timer because it had 2 outlets, and I thought it would be able to control my lights seperately. After getting it home I realized that the outlets weren't independent and wasn't going to work for both lights with different schedules. I was going to try and find another timer that had 2 outlets but that were independent and then use this timer for something else. Now I think I'll just get another and use one on each light. Do they even make timers that had indepent programming for two or more outlets?

This is the timer I just bought. It is a Woods 7-day digital timer from Canadian tire. I think I paid $25 for it. I tested it....easy to set and works well.

Back
Top Bottom