PH Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
How do you manage a consistant Ph in your tank when your tank PH differs from your tap water's PH? Also, how low can PH go w/o being a concern?

Tap water in moderately hard with a PH of about 7.6 ppm. I added a small piece of driftwood to my main tank and the PH slowly dropped to what I thought was a consistant 6.8 ppm. However I recently rescaped that same tank (it's fully planted) and after my last testing, the PH was about 6.4 ppm. I tested the water in my other tank at the same time and it is sitting at between 6.6- 6.8 ppm (no driftwood in that tank).

FWIW, I do a 1x weekly PWC on both tanks; usually around 25%.
img_1235858_0_6f3448c0b0f9ca512b50319cadaf4eee.jpg

vial #1 37 gal, vial #2 20 gal, and vial #3 tap water

I'm thinking your tap water reading is a false reading. Public water supplies often have very low CO2.

Allow the tap water to sit 24 to 48 hours with an air pump then take a reading. You'll probably have a 6.8 pH reading, which is your tap waters natural pH. By allowing the water to sit while adding movement with the air pump, you're creating a gas exchange, lowering the pH from 7.6 to 6.8. I had a similar issue where my tap readings were 8.8 and dropping to a steady 7.6pH.

As far as your other tank dropping to 6.4pH, i would lean toward the drift wood as the culprit.

Good choice is test kits.

I just deal with it. If you are constant and consistent with your PWCs you'll find a happy medium with minimal fluctuation. Out of tap, my water is ~ 8ph (seriously) and then in my tank I have it at ~6.8-7.2 (the colors all look the same to me)

Yes, I have trouble discerning 6.8 through 7.2 as well..There is clearly a difference between tap and tank though. Thank you both for the imput!

Back
Top Bottom