Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having small rises in ph & not sure why. I have a 75 gallon tank with 9 fish & 5 live plants that I removed tonight that weren't doing well. I am about 8 or so now on ph. I'm reading something about KH & GH affecting ph & if this is corrected ph will follow. Is this both related to hardness & if so what do you do to fix it?

Typically it is advised to not mess with your Ph as most fish will adjust to whatever it is. Adding things to move your Ph up or down can cause bigger issues . Have you ever tested you tap water? What kind of test kit are you using, strips or liquid?

If you haven't tested your tap water yet I would def start there to see where that is at and then put some in a container for 24 and give it a few stirs through the day and let it gas off. This number will most likely be different than the straight from your tap.

As mentioned, messing with your ph is really not recommended. It causes swings that are generally far worse for your fish. Provided you are not trying to keep very sensitive fish, like discus, than they should adjust fine. IF you want you could add some driftwood to your tank. This is suppose to lower your PH naturally though I wouldn't expect a big drop.

My tap water is 7.6 & in tank I was getting reading close to 8. No I have small angels, platys, mollies, tetras & a pleco. I am using API master test kit liquid. I will try leaving tap water out & retesting. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom