Phernetton (Sp) "Eel"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacifico

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ferneton, Frenetton, Franeton - I don't know.

I recall several years ago when I lived with my parents buying one of these "Eels". It was probably about 5" when I got it, and close to 2.5 feet when I found it on the floor one morning. It wasn't a very social fish -- mostly burrowed into the substrate all day. The curious thing about it was that it never really got thick. It stayed about at 1-2" circumference its whole life (as I remember).

Recently, I've tried to find some info. on this guy -- to no avail. Not knowing the spelling of its name certainly doesn't help things, but perhaps one of you knows about the species I'm looking for. Thanks for any help you can offer.

The activity would suggest a spiney eel of some sort, although none have a name like that (although there are 'fire eels'). Your only other likely possiblities are a Polypterid (like a ropefish) or a swamp eel of some sort. Are you sure it was a fish and not an amphibian, like an amphiuma?

Definitely not an amphibian. I have had a Peacock Eel before - this looked similar.

EDIT on that last one: I think I got mixed up on what swamp eels look like. It didn't have that rounded snout as exhibited by the swamp eel; rather, it had the pointy nose (similar to, as mentioned earlier, the peacock eel). I'm going to do some more searching on google... We'll see if we can't figure it out.

Alright. In general, it had a body style similar to that of the Spiny Eels. The thing is, I recall it having basically a solid brown body -- no stripes, zigs, zags, or anything else. Also, it didn't get fat -- like I said, its body stayed the same circumference for all of its life. Not sure if that helps any... Thanks!

If you can find a Caecomastacembelus frenatus at a LFS let me know because that place would deffinatly be on my list of great pet stores!!! :mrgreen:

Ahhh!! Excellent call, Fruitbat. You've saved the day again... That's my fish! The only thing is the 18" size restriction. I really thought the specimen was at least 24" if not upwards of 30", but memory may not serve me well. That is my enigmatic fish, though.

greenmagi: I did, indeed, get it at a LFS. They are quite expensive, but the nicest in town & tend to get in stuff that I, otherwise, never see in person.

Thanks again!

So, out of curiousity, are these hard to come by? This store has other Tanganyikan Eels such as the Tanganyikan Banded Eel (beautiful specimen)-$125 a piece. Also, does this mean that "Fren", as we called it, was a TRUE eel as opposed to most "eels" we encounter in LFS in the USA? Thanks again for the help... This is very exciting!

Pacifico....

Glad to be of some assistance. Caecomastacembelus frenatus is not a 'true' eel but is a Spiny Eel like the Tire-track eel and Fire eel. There have been a number of different Spiny Eels occasionally being imported out of Africa recently but they're still much less commonly available than the more popular Asian varieties.

I'm looking for some of the African river species of Mastacembelid 'eels' myself but the only ones any of my local stores seem to get in are the Lake Tanganyika varieties.

-Joe

Interesting. Well, thank you again for assistance. Good luck finding your Mastacembelids.

Back
Top Bottom