phosphate removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have started noticing brown algae is spots of my tank...did a quick check and sure enough, phosphates. Since I do weekly PWC, whwt is the next best way to control them? Phosguard?

Also, on a 56 gallon tank, are additional circulation pumps recommended, besides the flow from my 2 HOBs pushing 400gph?

What level are your phosphates at? Is this a planted tank? How are you lighting the tank? What are you feeding and how often/how much?

Phosphates are around 0.5-1.0ppm (based on API test). It's very lightly planted with some Amazon Sword and 3 other plants (that I can't recall ATM). Tank is lit with a 24" PowerGlo fluorescent tube @18000K. I'm feeding flake food once daily, about 1 - 1 1/2 tsp (it's all gone within 60 seconds).

I'm filtering with 2 HOB filters @200gph each, with floss and carbon in each. One also has 50 micron microfiber, the other has 2 100mL Purigen pouches. Water is crystal clear :)

I would cut back feeding a bit - feed 2 out of 3 days or so. That will help bring the PO4 down some. You want somewhere around 0.5 if you plan to keep plants, so you aren't far off. I wouldn't recommend running any additional chemical filtration until you try cutting back the feeding a bit.

Lighting is a little on the high side color temp wise, you are missing some red peaks in the spectrum that plants need with a color temp that high. Probably not an emergency situation, but next time you replace the bulbs, I would bring it down to 6500-10000K.

Last edited:
I'll try that on the feeding.

As for the lamp, the color spectrum is attached; looks OK in the reds, but I will check a lower temp bulb next time around.

Also, what about circulation? Are the 2 HOBs enough (run aft to fore in the tank), or should I add a lateral powerhead to make sure no dead zones are present?

Attachments

• spectrum.jpg
    spectrum.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 53
I think you are fine with just the HOBs.

There are some reds on the lower end, but a ~6700K bulb is going to have peaks in the reds with higher wavelengths above 700, and also less on the blue end.

Awesome, thanks. I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes (I track everything in my tank in a pretty detailed spreadsheet, so I should be able to see the change, if any, fairly quickly once it happens).

Excellent, let us know.

If the reduced feeding doesn't bring it down, there are some chemical options out there... but you are so close, I wouldn't resort to it yet. PO4 is removed usually via granular ferric oxide (GFO), which is not cheap.

Yeah, I don't want to have to resort to a GFO reactor (tank isn't drilled, so I would have to create a siphon powered sump...which I am very leery about).

PhosGuard seemed to be the next best option, as I have always had success w/ SeaChem's products. I will do my weekly PWC tomorrow and start the new feeding regimen tomorrow as well. Time shall tell :)

I think phosguard is just low grade gfo. Gfo could be run in a bag in your HOB.

Also check your water source. Local water sources can sometimes contain low levels of phosphates. Especially if you are in a rural area or farming community.

Good call..I haven't checked the tap. I plan on getting a RO/DI for an upcoming SW build, so I could always make the switch.

Back
Top Bottom