physical contact?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-D

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was vac-ing my tank yesterday when one of my harlequins started pecking at my hand. I thought "what's his problem, is he pissed off with me for some reason?" when one of the others started doing it too. Then I realised they were pecking at a couple of small freckles on my hand, must have thought it was food - so cute! (Although slightly scary that my fish want to eat me!)

So it got me to thinking that fish are probably the only pet you don't really get positive physical contact with. So I was wondering if any of you do?

edit: oops i got beeped!! :oops:

I used to pet my oscar. Well actually scratch him between the eyes. Physical contact is not really a good idea, petting a fish would disturb the slime coat.

Occasionally I'll rub the top of my fire eels head. Seems to like it, but I don't do it alot, as I really don't want to disturb the slime coat too much.

I will pet the Africans during feeding time every once in a while, but not too much. Over the weekend we were petting the Koi at a friends garden pond. They actually really enjoyed it and kept coming bcak up for more.

The tiger barbs attack my hands and arms whenever I do a tank cleaning. It feels very alien.

The Jewel cichlid bites my finger at every feeding. He also deliberately tries to splash me with water. The little psycho is completely intolerant of ANYTHING in his tank - that's why he's housed alone!

I am just amazed at how much personality they have. I originally got them as more decoration than pet - not that I would EVER treat them as decorations- but you know what I mean.. I have dogs and cats and these guys were meant more to add a nice soothing element to my home office.... HA! I can't keep my eyes off of them and am amazed at how cognizant they seem to be of me (ok, maybe I am reading too much into thir behavior- I am probably just food...). But they really have distinct little personalities and moods. They were terrified by me for the first 5 days I had them and now it doesn't seem to matter what I do. I can vacuum, re-arrange, net babies... no big deal to them... and I have only had them 2 weeks. They haven't nibbled me yet, but the hand feeding was just too fun. Ok... I feel a little nerdy now.. :oops: back to work...

i know what you mean about they know you and come to see you ive been told its just for food. but they still do it if i just fed them. lol
they come to out to play when i do water changed and they hide and sneak out and attack the hose. its so cool.
they tend to follow my hand around and play games when im cleaning it.more then hiding or being scared or even trying to eat . :)
i beleive its not just all about food.
if i bring out the camera now they all go around in circles in a big group. its amazing.
i think they definatly know whats going on.
and just like everything maybe they on some level know you and they want you to play with them through the glass or feeding or cleaning. i know my fish do. lol. :)

My female GBR is so adorable. When I'm doing any pruning or maintenance on the tank, she has to be right there. :)

I have to hand feed my moor, as he is nearsighted, so I get my hands picked at often. I also scoop up the goldies often very gently to check them over or take pictures. I have heard it is better for large goldies to use your hand than a net because it doesn't scratch them too often. They handle them at fish shows too. I don't worry about slime coats too much because all are healthy fish and recover quickly.

Elle2, I know what you mean about handfeeding the platies. It happend by accident the first time - I was dipping flake food to get it to sink for the cories and snails and BOOM, there they were. Its definitely fun.

The bettas are ALWAYS pecking at me when I rearrange their tanks. And Mr Piggy DEFINITELY does a wiggle dance when I turn around to look at him. I've never caught him doing the same "wiggle dance" when I watch him when he can't see me.

As for handling / petting my fish - well, I guess I get enough of that during my catch and release fishing in the lake or the gulf. Before I left them go I always hold them gently by the tail to make sure they're ok and active; some need a little time to get over the shock of being caught .... but that's for a fish forum of another kind LOL

my mollies pull my hairs out of my hand and wrist when I clean my tank, its adorable because they look so confused all the time lol

lol now i can say i touched two fish. i was feeding my fish pellets. and they have to come to the top so i snuck in a few touches
they are still getting use to me. so i didnt want to scare them but it was neat. :)

If I stick the tip of my finger into my tank my hatchets will swim by and start nibbling away at it.

Back
Top Bottom