Pico reef 4.5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard4s

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi i have kept freshwater for years and want to start a pico reef, I know its harder to start small but i have very limited space I want this tank http://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/WhatsnewInfo.aspx?id=211 it's comes with an aqua flow 50 internal filter, what media would I need for it? It comes with 31 LEDs will this be suitable? I really like this tank and dont want anything else. I need all the advise I can get, thanks.

Hello. Welcome to the forum!
I looked at the link but can't tell what wattage the lighting is so i cant comment on that. I would guess though that it is only for show and not able to sustain much if any corals. But otherwise looks to be a decent setup. :)

The only other thing thats not so great is its an internal filter, so it will take away valuable space within the tank.

I had a 4g pico myself but I broke it down to upgrade tanks. It was alot of work by the way, more work than my 125g reef tank. LOL But it was nice while I had it up. If I did such a small tank again I probably would just go with shrimp and inverts. :)

Hi the internal filter and heater is hidden away in a section at the back of the tank, what do you think I should use as the filter media, would I need a powerhead? I'm new to keeping marines. I'm staring the tank at christmas, what other equipment do you think I need? I looked at your old pico and it's looked amazing :)

I passed on the powerhead, toomuch flow in my opinion. I used the regular filter cartridges that were for the filter. They had carbon and filter floss pretty much. It's up to you whether to run carbon or not, kinda a personal thing. Some people dont run it some do. :)

It may sound like overkill but I would get a refractometer to measure the salinity. thats one battle you will have in a tank that small is keeping the salinity stable due to evaporation. I also did twice weekly water changes of about a gallon each. I did have a fish in there though that I was feeding so my water parameters did have some ups and downs. Thats the other thing to worry about, such a small tank and even the tiniest amount of ammonia can be lethal.

Good luck though, looking forward to a build thread by you!! LOL

Thanks for your advise I will start a build thread as soon as I get the tank at Christmas, I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom