Pictus barbels got shorter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got Pictus Cat two weeks ago. It had barbels almost as long as its body when I bought him, but yesterday I noticed that his barbels are twice shorter now. Also they look softer and bent at the ends. First, I suspected that some other fish chew the barbels out, but, it that case, one barbel would be shorter than another. Since both barbels are about the same length, I'm thinking whether there is some kind of decease similar fo fin rot that affects cat's barbels. Is that true? And what do I do?

i know with corydoras, if their barbels shorten, it indicates the gravel is too course/sharp/rough, or that the water quality is sub-par, and they are eroding (similar to fin rot).

I completely agree, and this is an excellent indication that some corrective measures be taken quickly. Excess debris collecting on the bottom, too infrequent PWCs and general deterioration in water quality will cause this, and luckily with these cats you get a warning before more serious health issues arise.

Water condition is good, which leaves gravel... It's not very rough, but it's not too smooth either.
Is the Pictus' behavior (swimming in one spot under heater in day time and coming out at night or at feeding time) normal, or is it a sign of distress? Since fin rot can be caused by distress, can his condition have the same cause?

Well with my Albino Cories, I had what I thought was very smooth gravel...but they lost almost all of their barbels anyways.

Once they got transfered to a sand-bottomed tank, They grew back to incredible lengths.

I agree with what has been said. However, I do think Newhob mentioned something that hasn't been addressed. I've had a couple of Pictus Cats for about a year now. When I introduced the second one, they fought for about a week and I observed this curvy, shortening of whiskers business. Secondly, one time I--very regretfully--introduced some Head & Tail Lights that I didn't know had fin rot... In fact, I observed the same trend with the curvy, shortening whiskers. I treated the tank and their whiskers returned to their usual size within a month.

Cliff's Notes:
1)Could be from sharp gravel/poor water quality,
2)Might result from the Pictus fighting with another fish,
3)Could be something along the lines of fin rot,
4)None of the above.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom