Pictus Cat and Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SPAIN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What would happen if I were to mix a pictus cat in with gold fish? I would increase the temperature in the tank to maybe 75 degrees and the gold fish have only been in the tank for a week.

I have been viewing this chart to decide what to purchase and put in what tank. I don't know how true it is (hopefully somewhat LOL), but I like to think it has some merit to it.

http://www.aquariumstuffers.com/compatibility.cfm?Section=freshwater

But I have heard it said, it sometimes depends on the temperament of the individual fish. My dad's goldfish out in the pond will not tolerate anything living with it. Any type of cat or algae eater, mysteriously disappeared or died in their pond. Hrmmm...much the same way lilly pads disappear in the koi pond. Go figure.

What type of goldfish? Fancy goldfish will not mind the temp increase nearly as much as comets and common goldfish.

I almost bought a pictus cat tonight (and i have a goldfish). If you do indeed get a pictuc cat will you tell me the end result =o)

And i will do the same if I decide to get one

I wouldn't do it. . . It would have to be a pretty big tank, wouldn't it? My understanding is that a pictus needs about a 75 gallon tank for manuevering when it's mature. I know they are suckermouths, but some catfish just love the slime coat on goldfish, and will "attach," much to the detriment of the goldfish.

Goldfish are bottom feeders, and don't need a bottom feeder to clean up after them. The pictus is also a lot faster to the feed trough than fancy goldfish. . .

Just some thoughts.

Pimelodus pictus

If this is the pictus you mean then it should be fine. A minimum of 30 gallons is needed and these fellows get to be 6 inches at max. They will eat smaller fish, but a larger goldfish will be fine in there. The temp range is fine, aim for the lower 70sF like 72 or 72F and everyone will be satisfied. Keep a cave in the tank for it to hide in (it likes this a lot). They can be mean, but generally goldfish can keep their own.

Beware that goldfish and pictus will create a lot of waste in the tank so great filtration and lots of water changes will be essential to having healthy fish.

Pictus don't eat the slimecoat. This is generally the realm of the chinese algae eater.

The diet is slightly different though as goldfish need a high carbohydrate food (primarily plant eaters) and pictus need a richer protein diet. So this may be tricky to do. Sinking shrimp pellets fed at night shoudl help as the pictus is more nocturnal than the goldfish.

Good luck and have a big tank!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom