Pictus Cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbwedz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My kids are bugging me for a Pictus Catfish. I currently have:

• 5 Tiger barbs
  • 2 Angles (The Barbs leave them alone)
  • 1 Rainbow Shark
  • 1 Bleeding Heart Tetra
I have a 50 gallon tank, so I should have room and the fish seem big enough that the cat would leave them alone. Any thoughts? I never had a PC before.

:thanks:

AqAdvisor - PaulW

I have 1 with angels and mollies and a snowball plec, I think he's a great fish aslong as they have a nice resting place, they become extremely active wen food is introduced to the tank may stress nervous fish

They are pretty peacefull fish just give them a good hiding hole where you can see them and they look great :)

Is it a 55 or a 50? What are the dimensions? But it sounds like you could have a shoal of Pictish cats. If you get them get at least 3 watching them school is awesome! Plus it keeps them out in the open more. Also if I was you I would add at least 5 more bleeding heart tetras.

It's a 50. The link for all the info is above. I think 3 catfish and 4 more bleeding hearts would be a lot of load on the filters. Good thing I just installed that 2nd filter.

You should be ok your tank is actually under stocked right now don't trust aqadvisor it's ok but not completely reliable. You would be fine to add some cats and some more tetras as long as you keep up on 50% weekly water changes you will be fine. That would max your tank out then though.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391989857.721511.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391989875.667540.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391989890.207429.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391989902.161504.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391989913.692400.jpg

Well here are a few with my IPad. It's hard getting these guys standing still. The catfish is impossible right now.

I'm considering going to live plants, but never did that before, so I don't know how hard that will be.

Also, I have a PH question. When I took it earlier today the reading was 7.6, but after the vile sat for a few minutes it was 7-7.2. Which reading should I take? (Liquid test not strips)

View attachment 221726View attachment 221727View attachment 221728View attachment 221729View attachment 221730

Well here are a few with my IPad. It's hard getting these guys standing still. The catfish is impossible right now.

I'm considering going to live plants, but never did that before, so I don't know how hard that will be.

Also, I have a PH question. When I took it earlier today the reading was 7.6, but after the vile sat for a few minutes it was 7-7.2. Which reading should I take? (Liquid test not strips)

What's that catfish in the last pic? Looks like a baby Colombian catfish to me... And those are brackish to marine cats that reach a respectable size. Or it could be a low quality photo of a pictus and I could be 100% wrong about the columbian thing.

It was, but should be a pitcus. I'll try to get a better pic, but he sits in the back of the tank...

It has the right whiskers and that's what Petsmart sold it as (for what's that is worth). I'll try again later for a pic.

It might be but just the color in it doesn't look right but it might be a pictus just get that better pic later!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392006083.534525.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392006095.473133.jpg

The second pic is just to see the whiskers...

That is a pictus catfish haha I was wrong. I would get 2 more though if you only have 1 they really are a schilling species

If everyone seems to get along in the tank, I'll get to more. The Tigers were checking him out, but not anymore.

Back
Top Bottom