Pictus Catfish hiding for whole day.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thunderwaved

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We got him yesterday, he was really active. However, today he hid under a decoration for the whole day.

Is there something wrong with him?

I can't seem to get any food to him. He doesn't rise to the surface to get some and he ignores the food near him on the rocks.

Did you cycle the tank? (Nitrogen cycle)
What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

No, I setup the tank yesterday.

I'm trying to cycle it right now. I added some API stress zyme to speed it up.

The ammonia levels are reading .5 ppm, I know this is very dangerous so I am also using this Prime ammonia remover. I currently have about 14 fish inside the 55 gallon tank.

I don't currently have a test kit for the nitrate and nitrite levels.

Ok, well you are going to need to do a partial water change every day, depending on your ammonia and nitrite levels. The ammonia needs to be at least .25 or lower, and I would get a nitrite test ASAP. If the ammonia get's above .25, do a pwc. If the ammonia is .50, and you do a 50% pwc, then it should drop to .25. You might be doing pwc's every day for 4-6 weeks, depending on how long it takes your tank to cycle.
Your fish will be sick if you don't keep the ammonia and nitrite down.

I'll go with what dkpate and logansmomma said. Lots and lots of water changes. Hopefully your pictus can pull through it. I've found that they're a lot more vulnerable than most catfish.

I would advise you to invest in a full liquid test kit (not the strips) for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH.

Using Prime is good, this will detoxify the ammonia for 24-48 hours.

Once all your water parameters are good, he (and all your other fish) will probably be more active, but catfish are hiders in general. Try feeding him 10-15 minutes after lights out.ecos

Okay, changing the water won't help. I tested the water for ammonia that was treated with Prime and water conditioner and it said 0.5.

What do I do now?

Changing the water does help. If you do a 50% pwc, you should have 50% less ammonia.
The Prime will create false readings too. Prime is a water conditioner, so there is no need for another one.

+1 on the advice above.

Also about catfish. We got 2 x peppered cories and the first week we only saw one of them, thought the other one had died somewhere; until one day there he is catfishing about the place! I think he 'lives' inside one of our bigger ornaments although he spends most of the time out and about these days.

I think most of us have been through this.
As stated above, keep doing 50% PWC to keep the levels down. Only use Prime as a Dechlor. Not sure if you have one, but a Python will help alot with those frequent PWC (Partial Water Changes).
During the cycling period, don't change the filter cartridges as it holds most of the Good bacterias (If it gets too nasty, just "Swoosh" it in Old tank water during a PWC).
Test Test Test...
If you know someone that you trust and know that they have a Healthy running Aquarium, ask them for a handfull of gravel or a Used (still wet) Filter Media to put in your Tank. This will help Boost the Cycle.
Good Luck :)
and Welcome to AA

Back
Top Bottom