Pictus help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronBurr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
Several of my pictus have lost there long whisker. Is happened to several of them so I'm worried something in the tank is damagin them. I've got fake plants, Mollies, skirt tetras and an angel.

None of the fish seem to be chasing them so what are the big no no s for decorating their tank? They have good hiding places

I've also started treating the mollies for ick. I've half the dose per instructions. Could this cause them to lose their whiskers?

How do I treat them till things grow back? What do I need to look out for?

Thanks for any help.

...Okay so woke up this morning to one dead pictus and another who is on his way out. I put him in a quarantine tank but idk what is causing my fish to die. I just tested the water perimeters again and they seem fine.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 3
Temp: 79

Any thoughts?

Just an educated guess, but scaleless fish, like catfish, often don't do well when exposed to medications. Pictus cats are normally very durable and disease resistant. I believe the diluted ick treatment is your catfishes kryptonite. Hope things work out.

Just an educated guess, but scaleless fish, like catfish, often don't do well when exposed to medications. Pictus cats are normally very durable and disease resistant. I believe the diluted ick treatment is your catfishes kryptonite. Hope things work out.

That would really suck. :( Would that also explain the whiskers breaking off?

I don't know if the whisker loss is related. Dosing instructions on fish meds are unreliable. The actual percentage of medication the fish are exposed to depends on your tanks individual water parameters, including ph and hardness. Even diluted, your ick treatment was likely an over or under dose. That's why I rarely use meds, but rely on diligent tank maintenance and non med remedies. This will level out, don't worry.

Back
Top Bottom