Piggy platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmybliss

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank finished cycling with 2 green lantern platys about 3 weeks ago and I added new fish today! I got a school of 6 neon tetras, and 3 otos. I know that otos can be hard to keep, but my lfs uses good quarantine practices and these guys look healthy. They were eating their little heads off in the shop and are doing the same in my tank.

I was concerned about the platys, because they picked on my betta relentlessly to the point I had to move him out of the tank. They seem to be leaving everyone alone for the most part, but when it comes to feeding time, they out compete the tetras. They even ate the algae wafer I dropped in to supplement for the otos. Now of course, they are hugely fat! Still managing to swim right side up, not quite sure how, and still on the prowl for food! I had already considered re-homing them because of their aggressive behavior. Their gluttonous eating habits are yet another strike against them. Because they've eaten so much, I don't want to feed tomorrow, but that means the tetras will have to go without as well.

Any advice on how to feed the tetras while keeping the platys at bay? I've decided to take them back to lfs, but won't be able to get there for a few days.

Tank parameters:
15 gallon - long planted
Amonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - >20

You could try dropping some food in one corner, then when the platys go after it, put more food on the opposite end for the Tetras. For the Ottos, try feeding after lights out; they often like fresh vegetables as well (blanched zucchini, cucumber, etc). If you're going to rehome the platys in a few days anyway I wouldn't stress too much about it; obviously your other fish are getting something to eat or they'd probably be dead by now. Once the platys are rehomed they'll just eat better. :)

I just got the neons and Oscars yesterday, so I think they'll be ok today. I'm going to try and find time to run to the lfs today. I noticed this morning when I turned on the lights that the platys were picking on the Oscars. Can't stand the bullying, so they're gone.

Well, I have took the platys back today. They were just too bratty. My neons and otos look much more relaxed now. Not sure what else I'm going to add to the tank, but at least I don't have to worry about acts of terror happening in my little eco-system.

Back
Top Bottom