Pignose puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadetoblack06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone in here had experience with these guys? I've read info on the net but wanted to find out from personal experiences.

I had experience with a similar species - congo puffer.

Pignose are lurkers and don't really move around. Once these puffs get used to the keeper, then they will swim up to the glass. Some are lazy and keep themselves buried until you bring the food up to their face.

No. Only hard part is training them to eat dead food. Treat for internal parasite.

any tankmate = deadmate

Some people do not appreciate having a companion who lays in the substrate over 90% of the time and do not move. I find it very interesting.

3inch sandbed is recommended. Any thicker would make weekly sand maintenance difficult.

Sand bed is apx 3" there is a royal pleco in there about the length of a dollar bill and a tiny one about 3" I wouldn't want them hurt. As long as they would be ok I wasn't one. They're truly fresh right not brackish.

Yes truly fresh.

Plecs have soft underbelly. They will be extremely vulnerable to the pignose's ambush attack from underneath.

rehome the plecs or get a new tank for a pignose. 30+ inches of tank length recommended.

Back
Top Bottom