Pillow Batting as Filter Floss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icydeath

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I know that 100% polyester can be used as filter floss but what if it is chemical free, 100%, yet STILL fire retardant? I've been told not to get the fire retardant stuff and to get the 100% and chemical free stuff so this confuses me.

Also a friend gave me a bag of ingeo pillow batting... made by Buffalo Snow. Apparently it is eco friendly and won't pollute the planet. This makes me think it would be okay. Does this seem alright to put in the tank? Does anyone have any experience with ingeo pillow batting?

Not offhand. But if the label says it is fire retardant or mildew resistant, or has been treated in some way to 'Stay Fresh '.. then don't use it for a filter. The chemicals used to make fibres fire or mildew resistant can be toxic. For the cost, it's not worth the risk.

Instead of pillow stuffing, you might consider trying quilt batting. Poly batting comes in a few thicknesses, and most fabric stores will have it. Often they will have two kinds.. one treated, one not treated, but the label should say if it's been treated or not. If you get it on sale, it's pretty cheap. The surfaces of quilt batt have been slightly heat bonded, so it's easier to cut into shapes to fit a filter, but you can just tear off pieces too. The bonding also helps it hold together longer in the filter.

Okay so I know that 100% polyester can be used as filter floss but what if it is chemical free, 100%, yet STILL fire retardant? I've been told not to get the fire retardant stuff and to get the 100% and chemical free stuff so this confuses me.

Also a friend gave me a bag of ingeo pillow batting... made by Buffalo Snow. Apparently it is eco friendly and won't pollute the planet. This makes me think it would be okay. Does this seem alright to put in the tank? Does anyone have any experience with ingeo pillow batting?

No experience with that particular brand. I would suggest using the other best friend google, and searching their site directly. They will have the most info about their products.

Not offhand. But if the label says it is fire retardant or mildew resistant, or has been treated in some way to 'Stay Fresh '.. then don't use it for a filter. The chemicals used to make fibres fire or mildew resistant can be toxic. For the cost, it's not worth the risk.

Instead of pillow stuffing, you might consider trying quilt batting. Poly batting comes in a few thicknesses, and most fabric stores will have it. Often they will have two kinds.. one treated, one not treated, but the label should say if it's been treated or not. If you get it on sale, it's pretty cheap. The surfaces of quilt batt have been slightly heat bonded, so it's easier to cut into shapes to fit a filter, but you can just tear off pieces too. The bonding also helps it hold together longer in the filter.

+1 !!!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I checked a website that sells the stuff and the description says that it is 100% PLA fiber which is polylactic fiber.

Checked on wikipedia, this isn't soluble in water.

Seems good, what do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom