Pimamix and dwarf gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I know that melafix isn't good to use on labyrinth fish and such but is pimafix ok? My sons dwarf gourami "lolly" has a really sore lolling red and white ulcerated mouth. I did a 90% water change last night and added pimafix. Did I do the wrong thing by adding it? I can't add salt as I have panda cories. The temp is at 27degress Celsius I raised it before when I was dealing with ich. I'll try get a picture of his mouth if anyone can help me and Lolly I'd be very great full. We are very attached to this little guy :(

Im having problems with ich in my clpwn loach can you tell me how to combat this problem ?

cotton mouth

Hello,i beleive your gourami has cotton mouth. i had a flame gourami that had this and i tried treating it although i was unsicsessful. This is a nasty bacteria that is hard to cure. I haveent personaly had any trouble treating my gourami's with melifix/permifix, althuough i only have had to twice. If you use the right amount or a little less it shoudnt hurt him. This is a matter of opinion, and many people can very on opinion, but like i say it didnt affect my gourami when i sucesfully treated one with a open cut on its side. I beleive that permifix may not be the right way to go about getting rid of the bacteria, like i said its a nasty thing although some people havee reportd it working. If your fish isnt alone make sure you remove him and put him in a isolation tank and keep track of the other fish. Add salt to your aquarium to improve their gilf function. i would go tou your lfs and see if you can find a abtibiotic to treat your tank, there are many diff ones. Keep us informed
Hope i could help

@despirotomatico i successfully treated ich recently. raise the temp of your tank to around 85, this willl slow the reproduction of the parasite. There isnt a effective way to kill the parasite once they are attached to the fish, its best to kill them when they detach. I added some melifix to the tank to work on the ones that are swimming around. increase salt to create a salt bath, i used around 7tbsp for my ten gal. i know it seems excessive. do a water change at lease every day, for at least the first week. thats really ll you can do for ich. it may see like your not going anywhere, but ich take a while to kill. give it at least a week and a half be for you start seeing progress

Hello,i beleive your gourami has cotton mouth. i had a flame gourami that had this and i tried treating it although i was unsicsessful. This is a nasty bacteria that is hard to cure. I haveent personaly had any trouble treating my gourami's with melifix/permifix, althuough i only have had to twice. If you use the right amount or a little less it shoudnt hurt him. This is a matter of opinion, and many people can very on opinion, but like i say it didnt affect my gourami when i sucesfully treated one with a open cut on its side. I beleive that permifix may not be the right way to go about getting rid of the bacteria, like i said its a nasty thing although some people havee reportd it working. If your fish isnt alone make sure you remove him and put him in a isolation tank and keep track of the other fish. Add salt to your aquarium to improve their gilf function. i would go tou your lfs and see if you can find a abtibiotic to treat your tank, there are many diff ones. Keep us informed
Hope i could help

Thank you for your help, It looks horrible like its eating away at his mouth it looks so painful :( I don't have a spare tank or quarantine so I'm going to have to just treat the whole tank. Ill try the primafix for the week it says to and see how it goes and do a 50% water change every second day. I'll add some salt I'm just worried about my pandas so ill add a lower dose. I really hope he pulls through poor baby

So his mouth still looks terrible but he's swimming and eating fine. My question now is I've noticed he has weird stringy clearish white bits hanging off his body as well what could this be? I have to wait till Wednesday when I have the money to go and buy meds for him what should I be using to treat the whole tank ? as I don't have a quarantine so he's had to stay in the tank. The others aren't shoring any signs of illness yet thankfully.

Cotton mouth affects the whole body.(not sure y it's called cotton mouth, prob cuz it mainly attacks the mouth) that's probably what you are seeing. It is possibly ich, but you would see little whit things swimin in your tank and would have big white spots on the fish. I'm going to say it is just continued of the cotton mouth.

Cotton mouth affects the whole body.(not sure y it's called cotton mouth, prob cuz it mainly attacks the mouth) that's probably what you are seeing. It is possibly ich, but you would see little whit things swimin in your tank and would have big white spots on the fish. I'm going to say it is just continued of the cotton mouth.

Oh ok thankyou, yeah it's def not ich it does look like thin cotton strings hanging of him. He's still holding on and eating a bit more lethargic though poor guy. I did a 60% water change yesterday and added multicure instead of the pimafix. Tomorrow ill go to the lfs n see if I can get an antibiotic to treat him that's safe for the whole tank. Ill do a water change first of course to get rid of the multicure when I add it. I'm hoping the multicure will do some good for now.

when 2 out of 14 of my fish had ich I just raised the temp to 86 slowly and left it there about 2 weeks and NO ICH all gone....that darn parasite can't thrive in high temps...yay....you do not have to add salt ..I didn't...I have 4 ghost shrimp and wasn't going to risk them.....

I went to the LFS this today and got some meds they recommended and did a pwc added the meds. Lolly isn't doing well at all poor thing he's very lethargic just sits at the surface and seems a bit bloated. I don't know if he will make it through the night but I have my fingers crossed that the meds will do something to start healing him.

This is soo sad I thought he was gone but he's still hanging on and he is definitely suffering from an internal parasite aswell! The clear stringy poo is a dead give away. I treated the tank for internal parasites today aswell as the others had signs of them aswell. It's like when one thing goes wrong it sets of a chain reaction of things.

Does anyone know if there is any signs that the fishes bodies are getting rid of the internal parasites ? And the meds are working? I noticed a few of the fish had the stringy white faeces coming out at the same time? Is that a sign ?

Does anyone know if there is any signs that the fishes bodies are getting rid of the internal parasites ? And the meds are working? I noticed a few of the fish had the stringy white faeces coming out at the same time? Is that a sign ?

A few of the fish? And it was just the gourami? To me, that sounds like its spreading. Others have said to treat for internal parasites, you have to use medicated food. As for treatment duration, personally, I would go until I saw no more white string feces and then go a little longer, maybe a week. That way you're almost positive they are gone.

You said Lolly is up at the top looking bloated? Can you share a picture? It might help us to see what you see.

A few of the fish? And it was just the gourami? To me, that sounds like its spreading. Others have said to treat for internal parasites, you have to use medicated food. As for treatment duration, personally, I would go until I saw no more white string feces and then go a little longer, maybe a week. That way you're almost positive they are gone.

You said Lolly is up at the top looking bloated? Can you share a picture? It might help us to see what you see.

The other fish just have the stringy clear faeces not the cotton mouth or anything else and they are all acting completely normal.
They don't sell the medicated food here in Western Australia so I got a powder internal parasite treatment and added it to the tank it should kill them, well I'm hoping. I posted pics of Lolly at the beginning of the thread. It's like 10:30pm here so the lights are all off but ill try and get one if he makes it through the night which I'm doubtful sadly :(

I'm going to go and try and find a specific antibacterial antibiotic or something to cure cotton mouth tomorrow just in case I need it and these meds don't work. I really hope that the cotton mouth doesn't spread and I can kick all this in the butt before it gets to the other fish.

The other fish just have the stringy clear faeces not the cotton mouth or anything else and they are all acting completely normal.
They don't sell the medicated food here in Western Australia so I got a powder internal parasite treatment and added it to the tank it should kill them, well I'm hoping. I posted pics of Lolly at the beginning of the thread. It's like 10:30pm here so the lights are all off but ill try and get one if he makes it through the night which I'm doubtful sadly :(

You might be able to make it. I can look into it later on for the specifics, but I think you soak the normal food in parasite treatment prior to feeding. Do not quote me on that one. I will find out for sure. The annoyance with internal parasites is you have to treat internally. They get all their nutrition from the digested food of the host - in this case, fish. Once they're out, they can infect other fish if they're live. I would suggest, and if others find it wrong, share other suggestions, daily thorough gravel vacuuming to get as many loose parasites as possible out. If you can make medicated food, do so, just make sure you don't use a parasite medication that would cause problems when you mix it. As for bloating, an image would be helpful, but I'll try to figure some out with what I got. So Lolly is floating at the top appearing bloated. Is he sort of leaning to one side? Is his stomach just extra buldgy? Are his scales sticking out like pinecones? Is it affecting him swimming?

I'm going to go and try and find a specific antibacterial antibiotic or something to cure cotton mouth tomorrow just in case I need it and these meds don't work. I really hope that the cotton mouth doesn't spread and I can kick all this in the butt before it gets to the other fish.

I can help you figure out what you need when I look at the medicated food. That way you know exactly what you want, what kind of antibiotic you need, and anything you can get about it before actually going out and getting it. We will figure this out and do everything possible to fix it.

I just read on the back of the meds that I can mix it to the food or add it to the tank directly. So tomorrow ill make up some food mix and hope that with the water being treated aswell as them hopefully eating it directly it will kill them inside and free swimming. Ill give the tank a good gravel vac and water change in a few days after I've given the meds time to work. Then re treat. Lolly us having trouble staying upright he falls flat on his side but then straightens up. It's the cotton mouth and internal parasites that's causing it I'm pretty sure of. I think the bloating is from the parasites it's definitely not dropsy. He's not massively bloated just a but more than usual.

Back
Top Bottom