Pink Tailed Chalceus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherry Barb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I have found a new fish that I really, really want. However, I'm trying to decide whether or not to get him. So, I need advice.

The fish I have found is called a Pink-Tailed Chalceus or Characin. He is from the Amazon River and is in the same class of fish as the pirahna. He will get eventually get to be about 10" long. He is right now on hold at my fav lfs until tomorrow evening when i make my decision. Anyway, I am building up my main stock in my 55L tank. These tankmates will move to a 180 in the spring.

So far, tankmates will be a Bala Shark, an Iridescent Shark, A Pimelodus Pictus, A common Pl*c, a Green phantom Pl*c. Gouramis: 2-Blue, 1-Gold, 1-Pearl, 1-Honey and 1 Albino Paradise.

The Chalceus must be housed with fish "larger" than he is? Right now he is in the Gourami Tank where I got my Pearl Gourami. What do you think guys? DO I go for this one or will I suffer more losses with this fish than what he is worth? I think I need advice of those more skilled than I.

Sorry to be so long, but I really am on the fence.

Rose

Fret not. I have been countless times told to experiment fearlessly, and experience the unknown , because all are different. If worried I have been told to feed smaller and more often portions. Also I have found a raised salinity to calm aggressive tiger barbs that I had had previous problems with before. These were my "renegades" who caused previous harm in my other tank, and I placed them together one by one till they were four, and I then added danios and neons successfully. They even bred in that tank, my first batch.

I think this is a great looking fish. How large is the one you are getting?

I don't think his tankmates will be a problem but.........
I believe like most characins these are schooling fish and do best in groups. Maybe Fruitbat will confirm this.

Hi there,
The Pink Tailed Characin, what a great fish. I once owned 2 of these many moons ago, they were both about 8" long. Through experiance i can tell you that these fish are fantastic predators, if it will go in there mouth it is a case of it will not it might. If kept with fish of simular size you should'nt get any trouble. They are not difficult to keep if the tank is large enough for them and they are not to demanding on water conditions, i also had a friend that had one for 14yrs and i did read that one in a german zoo lived for 19yrs.

Thanks guys! I have decided to get him. I went to get him today, but the store thought he was a little too stressed from being sent to them because his eyes were just slightly cloudy. So, instead of selling him to me now, they said they would hold him until Sunday just to make sure he was healthy and calm enough to come to a new home. Isn't that great! I love my lfs that's why they're my fav. They care about their animals, even the fish! lol Not all places are like that.

Brian, this specimen is about a year old and he's already about 4 inches long. he is beautiful. He has a light shimmer to his scales and his tail is the neatest shade of pink! I think as he grows he will be fascinating to watch!

I appreciate all the advice. I read your posts before I left work to go the lfs. It means alot to me when people respond with good advice and encouragement.

Thanks you guys!

Rose

I've posted in another thread about your Chalceus, but I'll just say again that I'd watch closely your smaller gouramis, as I know you will! :wink:

Pretty please post pics?

BTW, that is a great LFS that will NOT sell you a fish that might be ill. :)

I've decided not to get him yet. I'll wait until I move my Gouramis and Sharks next spring. Then I may look into a tank with more aggressive fish where he and others will be at home. I promise to post pics if and when it happens. Thanks you guys and gals for all the great advice!

Rose

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom