pinpoint pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alxgchu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! i recently went to our LFS and saw a blue stick hanging inside the display aquarium. it was a Pinpoint pH. can someone help me what is this for? thanks!

It is just an battery operated electronic pH meter. It uses a small electrical current to determine th pH of the water. They have to be calibrated with fluids of a known pH and usually for temperature as well. They will give a digital readout of the water's pH . You can record the pH at many times throughout the day to get an idea of pH fluctuations.

I was unsure of what info you are looking for, so i will also include that pH is a measurement taken which tells you whether the water is acidic or alkaline. Very important to know.

JG

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AM1111

ok. thanks alot JG.. but as i was looking in the net for information on pinpoint pH and i came up with 2 models.
- pinpoint pH controller & probe, which:
- Controls pH in both a downward and upward direction. - ???
- You can select a setpoint and any range of acceptable pH around this
setpoint. - ???
- 110 VAC operation - ???
- pinpoint pH monitor master kit
i'm not sure whats the difference between this 2 model. do the controller do the actual adjustment if the pH is fluctuating or do i need to plug a different device for that? by the way, what is a probe and what is downward and upward direction? hope you could help me with this 1, because i'm a newbie in this hobby.. thanks! :D

- "Controls pH in both a downward and upward direction. - ???"

This means that you can connect this meter to another pice of equipment which will release chemicals into the water if the pH gets too low or too high.

" - You can select a setpoint and any range of acceptable pH around this setpoint. - ???"

I believe this means that you can select one point at which the pH will be automatically adjusted or several setpoints.

"- 110 VAC operation - ???"
Should be referring to a power supply for the system. VAC is Variable Alternating Current. This means that you can change the amperage.

"do the controller do the actual adjustment if the pH is fluctuating or do i need to plug a different device for that?"

Yes to both questions - the controller works with another device such as a calcium reactor.

"by the way, what is a probe "

Just another word for the "blue thing" that you described seeing. It is the electronic sensor that goes into the water.

"and what is downward and upward direction? "

This is referring to a drop in pH or a rise in pH . The pH scale has a range of 0 tp 14. 0 is very acidic, 7 is neutral, and 14 is very alkaline. Marine aquariums should be around 8.2. If pH falls below 8.2, the water chemistry will need to be adjusted upwards .

" hope you could help me with this 1, because i'm a newbie in this hobby.. thanks! :D[/quote] "

Hope this helps. JG

I have one. Works great. It has to be calibrated when the 9v battery dies but it is much better than a PH test kit

Good meter, but I would calbrate in once a month. They do get out of wack.

Back
Top Bottom