Piping problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 2 overflows on the back wall. one overflow goes straight down to the protein skimmer. the other one is split with a T. one side goes to the refugium, the other is sent over to the protein skimmer. I attached a pic of one of my drain pipes. It goes a little uphill before the last elbow. Is this going to be a problem?

Also from that same picture, you'll notice a second pipe coming from the same line. That runs all the way to the other side of the tank (to get to the protein skimmer). That too also slopes up about 3/8ths.

Am I going to run into problems here or should I be ok?

Attachments

• image-2304853663.jpg
    image-2304853663.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 78
That'll lead to issues. Just cut it off some or cut a mew piece of PVC.

Also, you shouldn't have a ball valve on the intake pipe like that. If you want to restrict flow, do it on the return after the return pump. It avoids issues and can actually increase the lifespan of your return pump.

I thought that being able to control the inlets and returns I'd be able to get a full syphon. I also don't want the inlets to run the full 1200gph, so I thought if I put some ball valves on there I'd be able to control everything better.

I'm gonna see if I have room to cut the pipe when I get home, but if I don't should I be worried, or is this a minor thing?

It'll restrict flow or cut it off all together depending how severe of a uphill slope it is. I look at the ball valve and restricting the inlet as a bigger deal, but both will set you up for failure on the long run. Let the inlets run and cut it back after the return pump until you hit that magic spot.

Hey guys stupid question I am a plumber going to by repiping my whole system as I am moving shortly is primer ok to use and is there a special glue or just what I'm used to using I have 90 gal tank 8w inline uv skimmer sits in 20 gal sump 10 gal refug and auto top off system

Hey guys stupid question I am a plumber going to by repiping my whole system as I am moving shortly is primer ok to use and is there a special glue or just what I'm used to using I have 90 gal tank 8w inline uv skimmer sits in 20 gal sump 10 gal refug and auto top off system

As for your setup IMO I would change the tee as well on the flat so you get more of an even distribution between the two lines I could be wrong that's just the plumber in me talking!

After playing around with my tank for a while, I figured out why the pipes were screwed up. The bulk heads on the sump were way too tight and pushed up the pipes. I loosened the bulk heads up and everything dropped down to where it was supposed to be. I was FREAKIN all day, but everything seems to be ok now

Back
Top Bottom