Pistol Shrimp good or bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansei

Aquarium Advice Activist
last night I finally saw another hitchhiker - a 3/4 pistol shrimp , I thought I had seen "something" before but always thought my eyes were playing tricks on me til last nite . About an hour after lights out I seen him zip across the front of the tank then I sat for 1/2 til I saw he come back around again - definitely a pistol shrimp - but would he be good or bad in a 10gal reef .

Pistol shrimp are wonderful creatures. I agree with Scott, look into getting a it a shrimp goby. This symbiotic relationships is very cool to watch and rivals that of the clownfish/anemone.

While most pistols are considered reef safe, some species are bolder than others. A tiger pistol(A. bellulus), for example, may cause problems w/ other ornamental shrimp or crabs kept with it when it reaches adulthood. Pistol shrimp generally are safe, but keep an eye on it. Smaller tanks have more potential for aggression problems.

Pistol shrimp are awesome. I have a red pistol about 3 inches long that doesn't bother anything, but moves all the sand lol.

I just bought a pistol shrimp and love him. It's funny to be watching TV and hear "CLICK", when one of the other critters get too close.

Lance M. said:
Pistol shrimp are awesome. I have a red pistol about 3 inches long that doesn't bother anything, but moves all the sand lol.

Do you have any other shrimp? I have heard they can not get along with ornamentals.

Do you have any other shrimp? I have heard they can not get along with ornamentals.

(Tiger Pistol , Yellow Watchman pair)
mine never bothered my cleaner or fire shrimp in a 25g, honestly all mine did was dig...he dug and dug and dug and dug i mean all his life he dug...(he died from a rock fall) imo if you want corals on your sand bed then a pistol shrimp is not for you. they will move them around and push them out of the way or drag them into their current burrow. Cool critter but IMO a pain in the butt in a reef tank. if paired with a goby they wont ever bother anything because all they do is dig because they have the protection of the goby.

I so want a pair, been watching them on youtube. Look such an awesome relationship they have

Back
Top Bottom