Pistol Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:cool: Got myself a Candy Stripe Pistol today. Hopefully he will pair up with my Watchman Goby. Odds r favorable, so they say. Would b very cool. If not, no big deal. He is a nice addition. Even though I don't c him. I hear him. Think he's warning his tank mates. he's not food. lol

I have a Japanese pistol in a small 2 gal. aquarium with a goby and hear him all the time. I also have a large tiger pistol in a 33 gal tank and can't hear a thing out of him and he's about 4x's bigger than the other.... I guess the water gets in the way:)

That's interesting. Mine isn't real loud in my bio14. But he is definitely audible. He's pretty small. About 1" Not hearing him as much as earlier. I think he is settling in. I understand they're usually noisy after lights out.

Oh good to know .. Was thinking of getting one, but I don't want him waking me up lol.. What could u compare the noise to and how often does he click it?

It actually does sound like cocking a pistol to me.... kind of like clicking your tongue but more metallic:) It's not annoying.... most people just look around the room trying to figure out where it's coming from. He also doesn't do it over and over... mine doesn't, at least. I think you'd get used to it and probably just ignore it after a while. I do think he does it less as he gets comfortable.

Weagle is right. More like a clicking noise. I can't imagine it waking anyone fm their sleep as I have read.

Really? Seems a little small to b teaming up with a watchman goby that will get to b at least 2X it's size. Probably closer to 3x eventually

yeah i'm fairly certain randall's are the one's that stay small. I've seen tiger pistols get huge. And when I say 1" they are 1" But very thin etc.

source - my own watchman and candy :p

Appears ur right. Seems odd a tiny shrimp teaming up with a goby much bigger than itself. It must b quite a defense mechanism, that pincher of theirs.

Crabs said:
Appears ur right. Seems odd a tiny shrimp teaming up with a goby much bigger than itself. It must b quite a defense mechanism, that pincher of theirs.

Watch the pistol shrimp video by bbc on YouTube. Insane. That's why I asked if its too loud to sleep....

I have a Randal's. It sure don't look small once you see that claw... Heh.

Ours is queit unless he's digging or a hermit crab.bugs him. Him and our watchman chill together happily

Back
Top Bottom