Pittbully's Paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittbully13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sup folks! Recently (last week) my daughter had a project due for school. Her assignment was to represent an Eco system for her science class and she wanted to do something with half land and half water. It didn't have to be so elaborate but when we do things. It's definitely over the top. So after some research I came across a paludarium. I googled how to build a paludarium and this is the thread that inspired us http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/72637-29-gallon-paludarium-build-post-i-go-details-very-pic-heavy.html
So set off to make something like this using a 10g tank, great stuff foam, silicone, peat moss and plants.

Here the tank after I sprayed the great stuff and let dry. Then I applied silicone and peat moss and it dry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
I love these kinds of tanks. Definitely going to be watching this to see how it turns out! Looks good already.

I saw this in the Post Your Full Tank Shot thread. Glad you started a thread. I'll take a peak at the link for the details.
Plant list?
Proposed livestock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I saw this in the Post Your Full Tank Shot thread. Glad you started a thread. I'll take a peak at the link for the details.
Plant list?
Proposed livestock?

Fresh thanks for stopping by. Yeah the post your full tank shot is a spoiler alert, but couldn't help it. It was pretty easy to do and actually fun. I just wish I had more time to work on be details and document a lil more.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457123778.816722.jpg
Here you can see that I added partitions to each side and and egg crate inside to creat a false bottom. And also used pvc pipe cut a few inch to raise the false bottom. I will add sun leave rocks in each partition as the grow media. It's actually shale that's used in aquaponics.

The partitions were made with plexiglass I had laying around and bent it using a heat gun, then painted black with krylon fusion black paint.

Edit: Also forgot to mention I also placed small pots in the great stuff while it was drying to place plants.

Last edited:
Sweet! You are now officially my hero! This is awesome and the pic you posted in FTS thread was amazing!

Now I have a new obsession. I want to do one of these!

Sweet! You are now officially my hero! This is awesome and the pic you posted in FTS thread was amazing!

Now I have a new obsession. I want to do one of these!

Thanks Ziggy. It's pretty cool and surprised it came out as nice as it did.

Last edited:
So here's the plant list....keep in mind I didn't really do any research for plants since I was on a crunch all I knew is that bromeliads would be good. I just grabbed anything that was small and pretty.

Two bromeliads unknown of type purchased at Home Depot. I have a third which I thought I'd use but it too big and decided to keep it at work.

One croton codiaeum variegatum - this shrub will probably get too big later but it added a great splash of color

One small ivy plant purchased at an aquaponics store where I bought the grow media

One unknown plant I also bought at the aquaponics store. Salesman didn't know what it was, go figure. But it looks like a bucephalandra.

And last but not least a couple air plants.

Here's a shot of a brome unknown buce look alike and ivy.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457144164.678114.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457144164.678114.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Pretty cool list. Colors are outstanding (purple/fuchsia). Any thoughts on using terrestrial mosses as fillers? What lighting are you using for this?
I have lots of guppy grass and red root floaters for the aquatic part if interested. Let me know.

As far as filtration I have a small pump in the right back corner. Very similar to what flying squirrel did with his. There's some black week block type material zip tied to some egg creat separating the pump from the substrate, it will act as a bio and mechanical filter. The pump will provide a water fall/ trickle effect along the main branch/dw.

For the light I'm using a small single t5 fixture I snatched up one day when we were moving offices. The bulb is14watts and very soft in color. It was made for desk lightning, but for the plants in there is perfect. I have one running on my 10g grow out tank too.

I will take some pics tomorrow to show what I'm trying to explain. The tank is in the classroom now. Lol

This is really awesome! I have to try a little tank like this. I might have to order a small rimless tank and give it a shot.

Dude you should. It was fun and a lil messy with the foam. You could use a 10g and just take the euro brace off since it won't hold that much water. I got mine at Petco where the manager gave it to me at the dollar per gallon price. So if you're in Cary, nc and need a deal ask for Brandon.

Dude you should. It was fun and a lil messy with the foam. You could use a 10g and just take the euro brace off since it won't hold that much water. I got mine at Petco where the manager gave it to me at the dollar per gallon price. So if you're in Cary, nc and need a deal ask for Brandon.

I think I have 8 10g tanks out in the garage. I have no shortage of tanks around here. I kind of like the idea of doing this on an even smaller scale though. Maybe one of those little 5.5g rimless tanks. hmmmm

I think I have 8 10g tanks out in the garage. I have no shortage of tanks around here. I kind of like the idea of doing this on an even smaller scale though. Maybe one of those little 5.5g rimless tanks. hmmmm

Do it. Go hiking and get some terrestrial misses in there. Or be lazy and go to eBay.
LcQwRPj.jpg

The wood I collected were roots from a uprooted tree and the moss from the yard.

Here's pic of some of the moss and sticks I used.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457304639.191972.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457304664.140140.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457304676.573333.jpg

And here's what it looks like in the tank before the flood.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457304717.123424.jpg

That's really cool! I have this moss I've been holding onto for weeks. I just put it on the 54. You have inspired me!

Back
Top Bottom