Planning A 10g Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
severum mama said:
Way, way, way too many fish for a 10 gallon, especially for someone that is new to the hobby.
Royal gramma- grows too large for 10 gallon.
Scooter blenny- may never eat prepared foods. No way a 10 gallon could support a pod population to sustain this fish.
Six line wrasse- much too active for 10 gallon.
Pseudochromis- depending on species, MIGHT work as a solitary fish. Probably too aggressive to mix with other fish. 10 gallons is a small territory!
Cardinal- I can't think of a species that should be in a 10 gallon.

Personally, I think that a 10 gallon would be an absolute bare minimum for an ocellaris clown. I wouldn't recommend stocking anything else with it, but since the conservative approach to stocking (sadly) seems to have fallen out of favor with many of our members, they're probably going to tell you I don't know what I'm talking about. LOL. If you must stock another fish stick to something small and relatively inactive like a clown goby or one of the smaller species of shrimp goby.

I never even mentioned any of the fish you listed.

Severum mama, all the fish you listed weren't included in my stocking list. I just want to see how it goes. I'm not looking for anything big and spectacular with this tank, but just a small saltwater aquarium. It doesn't have to be anything special. I just want to see how it goes from here. Thank you for your input, though.

Right. I quoted another person's post in this thread, and explained my reasons for disagreeing with that particular post.

Going to start setting up and cycling either this weekend or next weekend, whenever my Mom can take me to the LFS. Thanks for checking in on me. I'm planning on starting real soon, so excited!!!

Nice how do you plan on cycling it? If you are considering a fish in cycle i wouldnt. Its expensive, more work, and stressful. Haha i threw in 2 cubes of mysis shrimp and waited. That simple ;) haha

I wouldn't dare do a fish in cycle i hate fish deaths theyre so sad :'(

I have clear liquid ammonia so I intend on using that. Hey, while I have your attention, I can use any conditioner for saltwater, right?

Haha okay good! And conditioner? I never use conditioner. I make my RO water, put in the salt, let is mix and heat up, put i t in the tank. Haha do you have an rodi unit or are you buying pure water?

Um idk I didnt really think about that. I don't think my LFS sells the salt water. I will probably have to mix it myself. Are there any tools I need?

Well i have my cheap 65 dollar rodi system, a 5 gallon bucket, salt, 1 powerhead and 1 heater to mix and heat the water. If you want you can buy rodi FRESHWATER, not saltwater outside a grocery store. They usually have big vending machine things that sell fresh super cheap. Its probably better for you to do that and just mix it!

Oh thanks! But I just have one more question. When doing water changes, do you mix the water first and then add it or vice versa?

I make my water in the 5 gallon bucket, take exactly 5 gallons of water out of the tank into a seperate 5 gallon bucket and then add the water

Hey got all the stuff today and will be setting up, but it turns out my heater's no good and I need a new one. I can only get one tomorrow, so can I sat cycling today and just add it tomorrow or do I need it first? Thanks!

Nvm found another heater. I started up the tank and I'm just mixing the salt in with the filter. It looks pretty good. I got white sand, two live rocks, and two caves, with some smaller stones. The background is just clear ocean and it really ties everything together. Thanks for all your help, I cant even thank you enough for helping me. I'll go ahead and start the cycle then!

Oh, and I forgot to mention. My LFs doesn't sell clown gobies :( any other fish you'd recommend? I saw a royal gramma and really liked it is it suitable for a 10g? Thanks!

Sounds great! And no i am sorry, royal grammas need 30+ gallons :( there are a few good gobys. Yellow watchman, yasha, high fin etc

:) Excuse my intrusion.....

But my first saltwater tank had only a yellow watchman goby and his shrimp buddy in it.... And two snails. I started out with freshwater too (and I still prefer it to SW, lol, just easier) and I know you're thinking that one fish is NOTHING, but believe me, they are SO interesting! They live in a hole right with the shrimp, and the two become best buddies. :) It's awesomely fun to watch. There are many goby species that will pair up with a shrimp, but I'm not really sure which are more suitable for a smaller tank.

Good luck with your tank! :)

Back
Top Bottom