Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Darn scuba guy didn't buy enough stuff to pay for the tank. Now I have to wait and hope it doesn't get sold before I can go buy it.

Bearchumjs said:
Well, if I do get that tank I think I'll get these lights. 2 blue and 2 white. What color temp do I want? 14000K?

http://www.fishneedit.com/4ft4bulbs-with-l44.html

10000k for t5 and 14000k halide is what I run. But 10000k t5 is pretty standard for them but you can go 14000k if you want. Its more of a cool blue color. I think the new ati coral plus bulbs are 12000k so its kind of up to you I think

Question about a refugium.

Couldn't I just take all the filter media out of a HOB filter and put some rubble and chaeto algae in, clip on a little light and use it as a mini refugium? Would that work to grow ampipods and copepods for my tank?

jwalsh said:
10000k for t5 and 14000k halide is what I run. But 10000k t5 is pretty standard for them but you can go 14000k if you want. Its more of a cool blue color. I think the new ati coral plus bulbs are 12000k so its kind of up to you I think

So 10000k are more yellow and 14000k is to the blue end the spectrum? 12000 would probably be a good choice then.

Bearchumjs said:
So 10000k are more yellow and 14000k is to the blue end the spectrum? 12000 would probably be a good choice then.

If I could I'd get 14000k. It's not actinic blue but more of a mix of actinic and 10000k. I think itll look nice if you have 1 actinic, 1 purple plus, 1 10000k and 1 14000k or 20000k. That's the best combo for me.

Ibrahim said:
If I could I'd get 14000k. It's not actinic blue but more of a mix of actinic and 10000k. I think itll look nice if you have 1 actinic, 1 purple plus, 1 10000k and 1 14000k or 20000k. That's the best combo for me.

Purple? Never thought of that!

Yeah the purple plus bulb brings out more red and oranges.it looks awesome on a tank. I run one. Its made by ati. Awesome bulbs! I have 2 true actinic 1 coral plus and a purple plus all awesome bulbs! I run my halide for 8 hrs per day so I have no need for more than 1 daylight bulb but when the halide goes off the corals still like some daylight until sunset then its just 1 actinic and the purple plus. Also the idea for a mini fuge is pretty cool! I might steal it! I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work and pods grow anywhere! I have them growing in my hob filter LOL a lot of them too atleast 1000 and at night they are all over my glass so you dont really need a fuge to have a good pod population.

jwalsh said:
Yeah the purple plus bulb brings out more red and oranges.it looks awesome on a tank. I run one. Its made by ati. Awesome bulbs! I have 2 true actinic 1 coral plus and a purple plus all awesome bulbs! I run my halide for 8 hrs per day so I have no need for more than 1 daylight bulb but when the halide goes off the corals still like some daylight until sunset then its just 1 actinic and the purple plus. Also the idea for a mini fuge is pretty cool! I might steal it! I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work and pods grow anywhere! I have them growing in my hob filter LOL a lot of them too atleast 1000 and at night they are all over my glass so you dont really need a fuge to have a good pod population.

I'll have to look into a purple bulb! I love reds and oranges and yellows.

I'm glad you like my "mini-fuge" idea. I was looking on line for refugiums and they are pretty expensive. Then I thought about using an hob filter with no filter media. Seems like the same thing to me and it already has a pump built in.

Ugh... 3rd day in a row I've woken up with a headache... I think I've caught my kids' cold. Joy.

Yeah fuges are expensive! Like atleast $150 you can get a nice hob filter for $50 and I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. Your idea is basicly a really small fuge that seems like a really great alternative way to make one I think ill go do that today after work ill go pick up a big one maybe 400gph and give it a try. Or ill turn the one I have now into one and get a new one for my acual filter

jwalsh said:
Yeah fuges are expensive! Like atleast $150 you can get a nice hob filter for $50 and I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work. Your idea is basicly a really small fuge that seems like a really great alternative way to make one I think ill go do that today after work ill go pick up a big one maybe 400gph and give it a try. Or ill turn the one I have now into one and get a new one for my acual filter

Let me know how it works. :)

I sure will. It might be a week before I get it going because my fish guy went to vegas for the week. And I refuse to buy from my lfs because everything is atleast double the price. I just can bring myself to spend abother penny there lol

jwalsh said:
I sure will. It might be a week before I get it going because my fish guy went to vegas for the week. And I refuse to buy from my lfs because everything is atleast double the price. I just can bring myself to spend abother penny there lol

I don't blame you! Petshops/lfs's in general are always way over priced.

I don't blame you! Petshops/lfs's in general are always way over priced.
They have to pay bills and feed their families, is usually the reason.
What will we do when all the pet stores are put out of business by the online retailers? Have multiple 5 gallon buckets of salt shipped to our houses?
:huh:

mr_X said:
What will we do when all the pet stores are put out of business by the online retailers? Have multiple 5 gallon buckets of salt shipped to our houses?

That's a very valid point.

mr_X said:

I also have a family to feed and lights to keep on so I can't afford to be paying outrageous prices for some of this stuff. I guess that's capitalism at is finest

Back
Top Bottom