Plans for a new 75 gallon freshwater aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrknWrldsWthin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking to upgrade a 20 gallon freshwater tank to a 75 gallon freshwater tank. The 20 gallon tank's current inhabitants are one redtail shark, 7 serpae tetras, and one peppered cory cat (I had many for a long time and am now down to just one). Here's what I was planning filtration-wise for the new tank:

Eheim Plus 2217-37 (263 gph)
Emperor 400 (400 gph)
Tetra 30-60 power filter, transferred from current tank (320)

Total GPH = 983, divided by 75 = 13.1% turnover rate - sounds good, but I still want to run over my stocking plans to be sure it's not too over-stocked. For maintenance, I will be doing about 50% weekly water change and regularly vacuuming the sand, etc. I'd consider myself about an intermediate aquarist, and I keep up with my aquariums well, but I still want to ask for advice here to make sure everything sounds ok.

Planned stock, including the fish I mentioned earlier that I'm transferring from the 20gal:

6 Silver Dollars
7 Serpae Tetras
7-8 Tetras of some other sort, maybe Neons or Glowlights, or maybe a bit bigger like Black Skirts, but I want something colorful and pretty
1 Common Pleco
1 Redtail Shark
1 Peppererd Cory - or maybe I'll just bring the last poor guy back to the LFS so he can re-group with a school again, he must be lonely nowadays, and I think adding 4 or 5 more to the tank would start being too many fish - thoughts on that?
Maybe a few small snails or clams, never kept any inverts in a FW tank before.

I was also wondering if there are any bigger species of catfish, besides Plecos, that can be kept in a community tank with small fish like Neons? I like a lot of Synodontis species, but I'm sure the tetras wouldn't last too long with most of them.

Since I'll be transferring the filter to the new tank, I should be able to add the old fish immediately, right? Even though the water volume would be nearly four times the size, the biological load would be equivalent, and therefore the biological filtration should be sufficient in capacity.... am I correct?

What advice can you give on my stocking list and possibly anything else like the filtration? Any help is appreciated.

I would remove some media from your established tank and place it in the Eheim when you get it up and running. I would test your water regularly after you upgrade as you may experience a mini-cycle.

As far as other catfish, upside down catfish are one of my favorites. Cories are good and have a somewhat low bio load. You could up the number of peppers and skip the common pleco. Best of luck.

I don't have experience with silver dollars or RTS but it doesn't seem overstocked to me. Removing the pleco from the list opens a lot of doors. I will say that black skirt tetras are fairly aggressive and like to nip, you may want to reconsider those. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom