Plant ID: wisteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrizza

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this water wisteria?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1462306635.945498.jpg
I got this plant from my local fish store. They couldn't tell me what it was offhand. Stem is super thick and it is not growing as I expected wisteria would. It is creating baby plantlets similar to water sprite, but I can't get over how thick the stem is. Definitely not sprite.

It could very well be that the baby plantlets will grow faster than the parent plant from the fish store. I bought it three weeks ago and it created three baby plants, but hasn't grown in size much. Any input from someone who has had experience with this type of plant?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I believe it is Water Wisteria. It looks great and will grow well, it's an easy plant and so lush/colorful. How it looks may differ from tank to tank. I learned here that it's long name is something like hygophila deformis due to the many different/deformed shapes it can take on (according to the various water conditions). It is a C02 hog and even does well with liquid C02. You lucked out with a good healthy plant. How strong is your light? How deep is your tank?

That looks more like broad leaf water sprite to me. Like this

maxresdefault.jpg

It is Cetratopteris thalictroides. How say Sumatra fern or fern oak.
It is a floating plant, but can also be implanted. Very fast growing, undemanding. Very useful for young Livebearing to hide.

That's what my water wisteria looked like (petsmart) but I'm no expert.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I saw some plant labeled water wisteria at pet smart yesterday. Looked nothing like this or anything I've seen on Google. I take it "water wisteria" is thrown around loosely in the aquatic plant world.

Also, the mother plant died the roots were pretty abused from the fish store. Let's hope the new plantlets survive.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom