plant id?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My water wisteria thrives in my 30 gallon. I only have a 17w fluorescent light. I have to trim it back often.

The other plant is Lysimachia nummularia

Make sure when planting this you plant each individual stem making sure that each stems leaves almost but not quite touch the leaves of the stems planted around it. This allow light and water circulation to reach lower levels of the stems.

It will be okay till you get back but my suggestion is trim the bottom inch or so off the stems before planting.

Neither one of the plants had roots....it was as if someone cut them off. Is this normal?

Not only is it normal but as the stems grow and get too tall cut them off to the height you desire them to be and replant the cut off tops. This is a cheap and easy way to propagate your plants.

Whoa. :) sounds nice. Plants can be expensive :/

Yes they do! I only started out with 6-12 stems on most of my plants and look how big my groups of plants are now. I just did some clipping and replanting yesterday. The only time I buy new plants is if I am wanting to try something new that I don't have.

If your water wisteria does not do well planted, float them. They will send their roots down into the water column, which looks kind of cool, IMO.

David

Are they losing color or melting? You said they came in as cuttings without roots and often time have to go through an adjustment period while developing roots. If you have multiple stems you need to seperate them and plant each stem individually. If your light is too low this could be an issue. What you can do is float the stems as mentioned above until they develop roots then try replanting them. Also you need to use a good liquid fertilizer once or twice a week as wisteria draws almost all it's nutrients from the water.

Are they losing color or melting? You said they came in as cuttings without roots and often time have to go through an adjustment period while developing roots. If you have multiple stems you need to seperate them and plant each stem individually. If your light is too low this could be an issue. What you can do is float the stems as mentioned above until they develop roots then try replanting them. Also you need to use a good liquid fertilizer once or twice a week as wisteria draws almost all it's nutrients from the water.

The wisteria is turning white and brown, and the other one is brown. But it's mostly towards where the plant meets the gravel. I went and bought API plant food from petco...could it be the fact there's no fish or nutrients yet since the tank is cycling?

Back
Top Bottom