Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can some help me ID this plant? It was given to me for free and seems to be flourishing. But I have no idea what it is, if I can tell what it is I can than read up on it! Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1436575879209.jpg
    1436575879209.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 67
Is it hygrophila polysperma "sunset"?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

One note of interest about this plant is the white coloration the leaf veins often exhibit. This is not a sign of a deficiency but rather it is believed to be caused by a virus that blocks the production of chlorophyll in the surrounding tissue.*

One note of interest about this plant is the white coloration the leaf veins often exhibit. This is not a sign of a deficiency but rather it is believed to be caused by a virus that blocks the production of chlorophyll in the surrounding tissue.*

Wow that's kinda cool! Never heard of a virus like that, really neat looking too. I wonder if it affects the plant at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Doesn't seem too, and it won't transfer to other plant species

Hygro Sunset. It grows like a beast in moderate to high light with carbon supplementation. Grows slower in low light. With higher intensity light, however, it'll get reddish tops.

Word to the wise, just be careful with what you do with the clippings. It's on the federal invasive species list of noxious weeds. It's illegal in a lot of states. If you dispose of the clippings, put it in the trash rather than anywhere that can end up in waterways. Don't ship it either.

Last edited:
Hygro Sunset. It grows like a beast in moderate to high light with carbon supplementation. Grows slower in low light. With higher intensity light, however, it'll get reddish tops.

Word to the wise, just be careful with what you do with the clippings. It's on the federal invasive species list of noxious weeds. It's illegal in a lot of states. If you dispose of the clippings, put it in the trash rather than anywhere that can end up in waterways. Don't ship it either.

Excellent did not know that! I doubt the person I got it from knew either :whistle: Clippings always go in the trash, I have this fear that some how they will grow in my pipes. lol

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom