Plant ideas for my tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pictuslover23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright so after a massive shop a thon in Fargo, redecorated my two aquariums. Now, I'm looking for some more plants to put in them and I'm not too sure what to get. In my 28 gal I just have some amazon sword along the back and some floating honwort. I would like to add some more plants as I like the look of densely planted tanks. Parameters are :ph 7.4 trates: 30, temp 78, and I have low light on both tanks (something like 2 or 3 w/gal). My second tank has convicts with the same parameters but it's a 20 gal with some clump of java moss. Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image-316968296.jpg
    image-316968296.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 128
It's going to depend on your lighting ... what types of bulb(s) do you have? T8 / T12? How many watts AND color temperature (K)?

If it's stock lighting ... I'm wagering they're T8 fluorescent bulbs that may just be suitable to sustain low light plants like anubias, java fern & moss and swords ... but they probably will not grow much if at all ... tough to say.

If you have incandescent bulbs, you could get CFL bulbs. Your looking for 6500K bulbs and a wattage over 1.0 wpg for those low light plants to grow.

T5 bulbs have much more output than T8's ... but would require getting T5 fixtures as well as bulbs.

Ok. Mind blown. Plants always confuse me. :S so I'm pretty sure both my canopies are marina stock lighting. I have had the swords for two years and they have grown quite a bit. I'm not sure of that helps at all.

Growing swords a good sign ... that tells me they're getting sufficient lighting, In my tank ... they stay green but that's it:D

Go ahead and go with some other low light plants like Java Fern, Anubias, anarcharis and Crypt. The link below will help you look at some plant options based on your lighting. I just realized that you put your wpg is between 2-3?
If so then growing the plants I listed should not be an issue ... you may even be able to go with some medium ranged lighting plants. I'm far from the plant king so hopefully a more experienced member will have better input.

Good luck!!

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

pictuslover23 said:
Root tabs eh? I'll give those a shot. Know any reputable brands? Oh, and I got some anubias (the tall kind) andy fish love them.

I was given Osmocote that a forum member on TPT gave me.

Seachem or API should work. Or better yet look at Root Medic. He's very nice. Contact him if you have questions. Example: if you have Shrimp, ask if the Copper in his root tabs is enough to kill Shrimp ??
http://rootmedic.net/products-page/dry-nutrients/1-rm-complete

You can get osmocote+ from the garden section at most big box stores and it is basically the same thing as rootmedic at a fraction of the price. I recall paying around $10 or less for about a pound of the stuff, the equivalent of hundreds of capsules of RM. I don't have anything against their product in general, I'm just not up for paying someone a premium for stuffing the time release granules into a pill casing for me.

Or just get a comprehensive root tab, API's is pretty good, I haven't seen any real complaints from any of them.

jcolon said:
Growing swords a good sign ... that tells me they're getting sufficient lighting, In my tank ... they stay green but that's it:D

Go ahead and go with some other low light plants like Java Fern, Anubias, anarcharis and Crypt. The link below will help you look at some plant options based on your lighting. I just realized that you put your wpg is between 2-3?
If so then growing the plants I listed should not be an issue ... you may even be able to go with some medium ranged lighting plants. I'm far from the plant king so hopefully a more experienced member will have better input.

Good luck!!

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide

Awesome website, but do they sell plants at all??

jetajockey said:
You can get osmocote+ from the garden section at most big box stores and it is basically the same thing as rootmedic at a fraction of the price. I recall paying around $10 or less for about a pound of the stuff, the equivalent of hundreds of capsules of RM. I don't have anything against their product in general, I'm just not up for paying someone a premium for stuffing the time release granules into a pill casing for me.

Or just get a comprehensive root tab, API's is pretty good, I haven't seen any real complaints from any of them.

Does it have to be osmocote plus or can it be regular osmocote

IMHO it has been much cheaper and easier to buy plants directly from other hobbyists on the Forums. Check out sales threads here or post a LF ( looking for) or WTB (want to buy) post on the Mart section.

I've gotten great plants via The Planted Tank forum, plus I joined my local planted tank club here in California, so most of my new plants were free or free plus cost of shipping.

I was just very generously given a Crypt Nurii Pahang mutated mother plant that would have cost me $25-35 or more but someone RAOKed four of these.

Check for a local club. Ours has good relationships w LFSs so we get discounts and sometimes hold our Meets at a store.

I agree with Coursair, go with hobbyists. You will get much better looking plants and you can find some really great deals. I've received countless orders from other hobbyists that cannot even compare to what the LFS's offer.

Now that we are moving towards Fall the weather is a bit cooler - they will be shipping more plants now. Most guys refuse to ship during the summer due to the heat melting their plants.

You might want to try checking out the section where members offer plants (and other items) for sale. They can also give you some advice on what might work and look good. Two of the most popular on the forum is Severum Mama and HN1. (y) I have read a lot of their threads and responses and have found they always give good advice. I just bought some plants from them and they gave me a great deal.

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom