Plant salt tolerance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am relatively new to having a planted tank (used "good" looking fake plants for years!)
Well, I've got some really good growth on my water sprite, anacharis, and my crypts (those are growing like crazy!)...can I still use salt in the aquarium for occasional treatment of my fish in case ich or some other parasite were to take hold? I know obviously keeping a clean tank and good water are key first and foremost- I just want to know how salt would affect those specific plants if I ever needed it! Thanks!! :)

Most aquarium plants can tolerate a very small amount of aquarium salt but honestly I don't suggest using it. Fish can be treated with heat quit successfully without harming most plants but if too much salt is used you plants will suffer.

So I am relatively new to having a planted tank (used "good" looking fake plants for years!)
Well, I've got some really good growth on my water sprite, anacharis, and my crypts (those are growing like crazy!)...can I still use salt in the aquarium for occasional treatment of my fish in case ich or some other parasite were to take hold? I know obviously keeping a clean tank and good water are key first and foremost- I just want to know how salt would affect those specific plants if I ever needed it! Thanks!! :)

Hello hart...

I've used a teaspoon to 1 and a half teaspoons in every 5 gallons of new water in my planted tanks for some years with no problems with fish or plants. Salt is important to my livebearers and I wouldn't be without it. Other fish may be a different story. Like you say, if you follow the rules for good tank management and that includes large, frequent water changes, then the tank inhabitants with be healthy and the chances of healthy fish getting an infection is very remote.

B

My problem is that currently I have one fish that is suffering from some type of growth and it's either is cyst from an internal parasite, or a fungus that grew as a result of some type of infection. I took him out and have him a salt bath an he's in QT....but NOW several other fish are pooping white stringy material (signs of parasites I assume) and was told salt acts as a way to sort of help purge the problem and comfort the fish. I would have to do this in the main tank though...not to mention meds to treat parasites if I can figure out what they are.....ugh. It's been a long week and where my fish obtained this problem is beyond me because I've always taken great care to keep them healthy! (Thinking live food introduced it at this point, or possibly a new live plant?)

Your Tank

Hello hart...

You can use a little salt in the tank. It seems to keep my livebearing fish very healthy. I use a teaspoon or a bit more in every 5 gallons of my replacement water and the plants are fine. I also change a lot of tank water and change it often. Pathogens live in most tanks, but healthy fish in pure water conditions have no problems and the chances of them being infected is very remote.

Just keep the tank water pure with large, frequent water changes and you'll have no tank troubles.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom